How to add a TM in Studio?
Thread poster: galishapira

galishapira  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:41
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 11, 2015

I have a very basic query being completely new to Trados 2014. I've received a document from my client on Trados. It also has a TM attached which I'm not sure I have managed to add. Can anyone talk to me through the process of adding a TM and if it is added does it appear immediately in the target column or only appears as I begin to translate and confirm? Or is there anything else I am completely ignorant about and need to know? (More than likely). Thanks everyone!

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:41
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Translating your first file with Studio Feb 11, 2015

You may like to read my blog post on translating your very first file in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL TRADOS SUPPORT Feb 11, 2015

THANK YOU FOR YOUR LINK. I'VE ACTUALLY DONE ALL THAT IS IN THE GUIDE BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE TERMS IN THE TM DON'T APPEAR IN THE FILE. WILL THEY APPEAR AS I GO ALONG OR DO THEY SUPPOSE TO
APPEAR STRAIGHT AWAY IN THE TARGET COLUMN?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:41
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
100% matches Feb 11, 2015

If you're using default settings, only 100% matches will be inserted in your target segments.
A 100% match refers to a whole segment (this is usually a whole sentence) in the source text that has already been translated in another file and is stored in the TM.

Upper/lowercase letter differences, different tags and punctuation will all turn an otherwise 100% match into a fuzzy match (i.e. less than 100%) and it won't be inserted in the target segment unless you change the settings. However, you will see fuzzy matches offered in the translation results window.

You can look up single words that you think are already in your TM by highlighting that word in the source segment and pressing F3. This is known as concordance in Studio.

United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL TRADOS SUPPORT Feb 12, 2015

Thank you but how do I change the default setting? This shows question show little I'm familiar with the software...

Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 05:41
English to Vietnamese
See the pics Feb 12, 2015

galishapira wrote:

Thank you but how do I change the default setting? This shows question show little I'm familiar with the software...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a TM in Studio?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search