XML files from SDL Trados translated into TXML with Wordfast. Conversion to XML?
Thread poster: Willem Prinse

Willem Prinse
Spain
Local time: 20:50
Member (2017)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 11, 2015

Hi,
I had an XML file to translate, prepared it in SDL Trados and sent the XLIFF file to somebody who uses Wordfast, which seems to be able to handle such files. Got the translation back no problem, installed the Wordfast file type app and generated the target translation. But that target translation is in TXML (Wordfast) format. How do I generate the target XML (the original file format)? The Wordfast user says she can only generate a TXML file.
Simply updating the TM and translating the SDL XLIFF file is not really an option because there are some 30,000 segments (and with different segmentation rules, identical segments translated differently acoording to context, etc.).
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Willem

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:50
English
If you sent... Feb 11, 2015

... an XLIFF to Wordfast and they were able to handle it then they should be able to return the XLIFF they translated. TXML is the Wordfast Professional format. This would be like the Wordfast user providing you with a TXML and you only give them the SDLXLIFF back. I would suggest the first port of call is to speak with the Wordfast user because this doesn't sound right at all.

If they did handle the XLIFF then the segmentation would be exactly the same because it should probably not get resegmented in Wordfast. So if they sent you the TM as a TMX (which is possible from Wordfast Pro) then you could use this top pretranslate the file. There may be some differences but if the XML file you translated was clean it might not be too much work.

The TXML filetype in Studio is there to allow you to handle TXML files from Wordfast. So open the TXML, translate and save target which would be a TXML.

So I'd say your options are these.

1. Go back to the translator and see what really happened. If they handled the XLIFF you sent then they can give you the XLIFF back. If they didn't then what did they translate?
  2. Go back to your translator and ask for the TMX
  3. Export the XLIFF in Studio as TTX perhaps and ask them to pretranslate that from their TM and return it. You can use the Legacy Converter for this. When they return it you can use the same tool to update your project and then save the target XML.

There are other options, but based on what you have told us here I think this would be my initial approach to the problem.

Regards

Paul

Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:50
English to Vietnamese
Options Feb 12, 2015

Willem Prinse wrote:

Hi,
I had an XML file to translate, prepared it in SDL Trados and sent the XLIFF file to somebody who uses Wordfast, which seems to be able to handle such files. Got the translation back no problem, installed the Wordfast file type app and generated the target translation. But that target translation is in TXML (Wordfast) format. How do I generate the target XML (the original file format)? The Wordfast user says she can only generate a TXML file.
Simply updating the TM and translating the SDL XLIFF file is not really an option because there are some 30,000 segments (and with different segmentation rules, identical segments translated differently acoording to context, etc.).
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Willem

There are many options but I think the easiest ones are:

1. Ask the translator to open the TXML file again using Wordfast Pro and click File->Save translated file menu item to generate the XLIFF file.

2. Open the TXML you received in notepad and locate the attribute file_name of txml element and replace the value of that attribute with the path of your XLIFF file (for example: "C:\Users\ABC\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects\XYZ\my_file.sdlxliff"). Download and install WFP Demo (free) and open the txml file and generate the XLIFF file (again, File->Save translated file).

[Edited at 2015-02-12 07:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML files from SDL Trados translated into TXML with Wordfast. Conversion to XML?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search