Thread poster: Birgitte England Bergum

Birgitte England Bergum  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 14:33
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 14, 2015

Hi,

I have experienced a very strange problem that happened yesterday. Of course, on Friday the 13th.

All of a sudden, Studio started behaving strangely; the cursor disappeared from the segments, everything was suddenly extremely slow. I tried doing an analysis. It took at least 10 minutes for it to complete! And then it took another 5 minutes to open all the files...

I then closed Studio, rebooted my PC and opened Studio again. It took about 10 minutes again to open the files. And when I tried writing in a segment, I got error messages, and Studio just went unresponsive.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Studio 2014 SP2. Nothing was different.

But then I noticed that all the 54 Word files (well, sdlxliff files in Studio) were all of the same size, and all of them contained the same. Each of the files contain the content from all the files!

How on earth has this happened? I don't know. It seems to work now to just open one of the files, which contains everything there is to translate in the project. It simply looks the same as when I'm opening several files at once. I have the orange "file separators" (with file names at the end and at the beginning).

Of course this project is due early on Monday, and now I'm wondering if I ought to create a new project with the files? I received a Studio package to translate, so it's a little hassle to create a new project... And when I pre-translate the files after creating a new package, everything will be CM, I guess?

Regards,
Birgitte

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 7

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:33
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Did you install CU8? Feb 14, 2015

CU8 (Cumulative Update 8) was released last week. Did you happen to install it (at all, or while working on this project)?
If so, the first course of action would be to remove it and see if anything has changed.

My first suggestion would be to reset Studio as explained in SDL KB4457. I'm not sure that uninstalling Studio removes the user profile from the system.

Then, Studio packages are just a zip file. Create a copy of your package file, rename its extension to zip (instead of sdlppx), and then you will be able to extract its content and use it to create a new project, at least for testing purposes.

As another test, create a test project, add 3-4 files (not from your current project) to it, and open them together (using the quick merge option, as you did with your current project) to test if the problem reoccurs.

Like 7

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't install the CU8 Feb 14, 2015

Hi Shai,

I realise I should have mentioned that I haven't installed the latest cumulative update (8).

I am always using quick merge to open all files at the same time in Studio, and I have never had any problems with this previously, so I really have no clue what might have caused this problem.

But I guess I do have to create a new project using the files from the package I received, like you say. It's probably the safest to avoid problems when finishing/delivering the job.

By the way, I created a very small project with 4 Word files just now. Opened them all at once and translated them without any problem...

I'm not a big fan of Studio, to be honest, and this experience didn't exactly make me a bigger fan.

Like 15

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
This is not necessarily Studio fault Feb 15, 2015

There quite a few things that can go wrong, especially when dealing with Packages that were not created very well by the party who sent the package.

If a smaller project seems to work just fine, then is it more than likely that nothing is "broken" with Studio itself.

Do you happen to have in the problematic project a lot of numbers only segments? Are the original files (before converted to SDLXLIFF) TTX by chance?

Like 18

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Original files are Word files, no real "number only" segments Feb 15, 2015

No, the files are originally Word (docx) files (as you can see in the topic title). And there are nothing very special about them.

I have quite a few numbers in the files, mostly chapter numbers and references (e.g. 3.2.1), but I don't think there are any segments that contain only numbers.

The only thing that may be a bit complicated about this project is that when opening the package, I didn't get to choose the location to extract the files. Apparently it was an update of a project I had translated earlier, and the files ended up in a little "weird" location, I mean, at least not where I would have put it myself.

I have done some copying back and forth of the folder with the sdlxliff files to an external HDD. But I don't see how this should affect the project.

Like 13

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Just a shot in the dark Feb 15, 2015

If the numbers in documents get auto-propagated, try the following:

1) Go to Project Settings (from the ribbon) and temporarily disable the TM and termbase (if any). Then filter for segments with number (from the Review tab of the ribbon), and translate only them. See if anything changes. If it does, just lock all of them after you finish working on them.

2) Also, try to re-index your TM.

Like 11

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are no "number only" segments Feb 15, 2015

There are no "number only" segments, so this filter doesn't return anything.

I could try re-indexing the TM (there are two), but I don't really see what difference that would make.

I have to focus on finishing the newly created project first. Then I can go back and try different solutions in the old project.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions! Others are also welcome, so I can have a look at this later.

Like 11

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem when opening several Word files at once in Studio 2014 SP2

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search