Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:54
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 14, 2015

Hi,

I've recently installed the Word template for Multiterm 2014 SP2 - a really great way to add/edit terms easily.

But I also noticed that since then, every time I open an existing Word document, another empty document is also opened (i.e. 2 docs open - the wanted document and an extra empty one).

I proved this to myself by removing the MultiTerm11.dotx from the STARTUP folder - the problem disappears.

Thanks for any ideas, Doron

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Few suggestions Feb 14, 2015

Hi Doron,

The first thing I would try is Start > Run > winword.exe /r. I have little faith that this will change anything, but it is worth a try.

If this doesn’t work, the problem is likely to stem from a corrupted template - Word's or MultiTerm's.

The easiest way to try and fix it is by recreating the template, hoping that this time nothing will get corrupted. Close all Office programs, Studio, and MultiTerm (and maker sure in the Tasks Manager no ghost
... See more
Hi Doron,

The first thing I would try is Start > Run > winword.exe /r. I have little faith that this will change anything, but it is worth a try.

If this doesn’t work, the problem is likely to stem from a corrupted template - Word's or MultiTerm's.

The easiest way to try and fix it is by recreating the template, hoping that this time nothing will get corrupted. Close all Office programs, Studio, and MultiTerm (and maker sure in the Tasks Manager no ghost instances are running), then do a global search for all Word's and Studio/MultiTerm templates. Move them from their current location to a backup folder, and then re-add them from the installation folder of the respective software (for Word you can just start Word and it will recreate the Normal.dot or Normal.dotm template).

This is explained in more details in KB #2086

Hope any of that will help
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hoped I left all this behind... Feb 14, 2015

Thanks, Shai, I really thought I left all this template-action behind with Studio.
It's really frustrating to having to start messing about with Word templates again at this stage.
I can't see how normal.dotx got corrupted by the installation of MultiTerm11.dotx - but who knows.
So I'll try to recreate it following your advice. See what happens.
Will we see you at the kenes next week?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Templates are a huge headache Feb 14, 2015

MS Office templates are a huge pain, especially when trying to integrate third-party functionality. I stopped trying to fiddle with them long ago, mainly for that reason.

That said, most template-related issues can be solved if you only have the time and patience to deal with them (over and over again. I wish I could tell you that solving the issue at hand means that it won't suddenly reappear one day for no apparent reason).

I don't know about next week yet. I have a l
... See more
MS Office templates are a huge pain, especially when trying to integrate third-party functionality. I stopped trying to fiddle with them long ago, mainly for that reason.

That said, most template-related issues can be solved if you only have the time and patience to deal with them (over and over again. I wish I could tell you that solving the issue at hand means that it won't suddenly reappear one day for no apparent reason).

I don't know about next week yet. I have a little scheduling conflict, but I might come to a single day.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2014 SP2 template in Word 2007 - an extra document opening

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »