Proj Mgr can Save Target As but I can't
Thread poster: pgschreier

pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:30
German to English
Feb 15, 2015

I just completed a translation job where the PM sent me a Trados package. I cannot Save Target As (to a Word file) -- missing tag error (missing . I set the editor to show all tag info, but neither the source or target segments have any tags whatsoever.

When I send the .sdxliff file to my PM, he can export without any trouble.

Can anyone explain this mystery?

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do you have the original source file (in Word) in the folder? Feb 15, 2015

This is a pretty basic point, but I will mention it anyway, just in case. If the Project Manager only sent you the sdlxliff file without the actual source Word or file, then Trados doesn't have what it takes to export the file back to Word. So it helps to save the original source file in your project folder.

An additional thought: I was once unable to export a translation because the source file contained an unusual (dodgy) font that I did not have, resulting from a pdf conversion I was supplied with. I had to use my support contract to get the file converted by the support team. So if you make the font in the source file as standard as possible, you may be able to re-translate the file with your TM and export it.

[Edited at 2015-02-15 12:23 GMT]

pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:30
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't help Feb 15, 2015

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the tips, but still no joy here. The source folder had only the .sdxliff files, so I added the .docx files. But when I tried to export, still got the same error.

The mystery continues...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I believe... Feb 15, 2015

the source file must be included in the package to be able to save as target...

If you need the target file, open it and translate it as single file translation using the TM and the save as target...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proj Mgr can Save Target As but I can't

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search