Studio 2011 and large XML files (>1 Gb)
Thread poster: Tim Parker

Tim Parker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
French to English
Feb 16, 2015

Hi,
I have been translating a product catalogue in XML format.
Languages: French to English.
There are five chapters and around 10 sub-chapters, which have all been split into separate files.
Two of the files I have to deal with are over 1 Gb in size, with all the extraneous non-translatable stuff there is in an XML file. My agency project managers have managed to apply filters to only leave the translatable text visible, which has obliged them to create separate packages for each file, but the file sizes remain huge.
My PC has 8 Gb RAM and can normally deal with anything, but this is an extraordinary situation. I set one file to open and 12 hours later it was still trying. Windows Task Manager says Trados is using up about 3 Gb of memory while trying to open such a file. Plenty of memory still available then, as I'm not running any other memory-consuming apps. Smaller files (e.g. 800 Mb in size) take a couple of hours to open but finally do get round to it.
Get an error message dialogue on each file "Collection was modified; Enumeration operation may not execute" (which doesn't stop me opening the smaller files and working on them, then saving each one as a return package), but with the two large files this just doesn't appear, or if it finally does when left all night, when I click on OK in the message dialogue the trados interface goes blank.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:08
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Your client’s setup Feb 17, 2015

If your client managed to process these files and create packages from them, maybe you should ask them about their setup?

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and large XML files (>1 Gb)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search