Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:54
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2005

Dear Collegues,
does anyone know how to count/check the number of words of Trados TM for one of languages in a given pair? I mean words, not segments. Is it at all possible? Is there any way to do that using Workbench, WinAlign or any other Trados or external application? Thanks in advance for any hints.

Coral Getino
Coral Getino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word count in TRADOS Jan 8, 2005

If you use Workbench, under Tools there is an option to Analyze... Click the file you need, and it will count segments and words (it compares the text to your TM, and also tells you how many new words or segments, how many repetitions!)

Coral

Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jan 8, 2005

but this is not what I meant. I do not want to count the number of words in a file but to check, how many words contains my Trados TM.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:54
English to German
+ ...
You could export the TM into a text file Jan 8, 2005

In the exported file you could replace tags and end of paragraph marks to transform it into a table which you can copy into Excel, or import into Access.

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Export + macros Jan 8, 2005

I have not spotted any feature that could help in this task. In your shoes I would export the TM to txt format. Then I would clean the exported file with a couple of macros (they are obviously dependent on the editing software that you use). After reading the text I have prepared a macro for TextPad 4.7. It cleans from the file all the details apart from the actual segments. Then you can just remove all segment in language that you do not want (Search&Replace) + remove the tag and you are left ... See more
I have not spotted any feature that could help in this task. In your shoes I would export the TM to txt format. Then I would clean the exported file with a couple of macros (they are obviously dependent on the editing software that you use). After reading the text I have prepared a macro for TextPad 4.7. It cleans from the file all the details apart from the actual segments. Then you can just remove all segment in language that you do not want (Search&Replace) + remove the tag and you are left with the words that you need to count.

Get in touch we me if you would like the TextPad approach. (Of course you can do it with MS Word, but you would need to know a bit about regular expressions).

Cheers,

Romuald
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in Trados TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »