OzanP
OzanP
Türkiye
Local time: 00:29
Russian to Turkish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2015

Greetings to all,

I am new to Trados and trying to invoice one of my client's request. No matter how I carefully checked every corner of Trados windows, I could not figure out how many unique words there are in my text. Since the text is short I was able to count it manually. As I did so, I found that there are 168 words which is equal to what Trados shows on its reports. So it must be the number of total words, on the other hand, I need to know only the number of unique words. I us
... See more
Greetings to all,

I am new to Trados and trying to invoice one of my client's request. No matter how I carefully checked every corner of Trados windows, I could not figure out how many unique words there are in my text. Since the text is short I was able to count it manually. As I did so, I found that there are 168 words which is equal to what Trados shows on its reports. So it must be the number of total words, on the other hand, I need to know only the number of unique words. I used a web-based word count tool and it came up with the result showing there is 140 unique words and 168 total word. So then, can I conclude that Trados does not have the ability to count only unique words?

I made google search but could not find any result specific to my question so I will be happy if one of you guys give me a hand on this.

Thank you
Ozan
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:29
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try using the Analysis tool Feb 18, 2015

I think what you want, is to use the Analysis tool. You don't say what version of Trados you use, but in Studio 2014 you can right click the project file in the Projects view, and choose Batch Tasks > Analyse files.

I am not totally sure what you mean by "unique words", but the analysis would give No match, so I think that's what you are interested in.

[Edited at 2015-02-18 17:25 GMT]

OzanP
OzanP
Türkiye
Local time: 00:29
Russian to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Analysis tool Feb 18, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I think what you want, is to use the Analysis tool. You don't say what version of Trados you use, but in Studio 2014 you can right click the project file in the Projects view, and choose Batch Tasks > Analyse files.

I am not totally sure what you mean by "unique words", but the analysis would give No match, so I think that's what you are interested in.

[Edited at 2015-02-18 17:25 GMT]

Thank you for your reply Roy,

I tried your advice, but I still do not see what I want to. Simply, what I need is the number of words excluding their repetitions, if any. For example, if the text is something like this:

These are free tools, learning materials, tutorials and are copyright materials.

then the number of unique words equals to 9, but not 11; because the words "are" and "materials" are repeated once.

[Edited at 2015-02-18 17:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-18 17:50 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:29
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Why do you need unique words? Feb 18, 2015

For translation purposes I cannot really see what use unique words would be, since they have to be used in some context to be much use. There is almost never a 1 to 1 link between different languages.

I would be interested in exactly why you need the count, though.

Anyway, what about opening the file in Word, or perhaps export an External View if the document cannot be opened directly in Word?

Open external View in Word.
Substitue a line break for eac
... See more
For translation purposes I cannot really see what use unique words would be, since they have to be used in some context to be much use. There is almost never a 1 to 1 link between different languages.

I would be interested in exactly why you need the count, though.

Anyway, what about opening the file in Word, or perhaps export an External View if the document cannot be opened directly in Word?

Open external View in Word.
Substitue a line break for each space.
Create a table from the whole file
Sort alphabetically
Delete all repetitions.
And then Word would give you the number of unique words, as far as I can see.
Collapse

vird

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unique word count in Trados Studio

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »