Member (2000)
English to Italian
+ ...
ASCII codes Feb 19, 2015

Thierry Raymond:
I'm trying to search hard returns in SDL Studio:

^p (or ^13) doesn't work.

Is there any other way?

Try to type ALT+0013 (or ALT+0010 for line breaks) in the search field.

Cheers
Gianni

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:31
English
Are you sure... Feb 19, 2015

... this is what you want to do? It's pretty hard to have hard returns in the Studio editor because these are typically segmentation points and they are moved outside the translatable area.

If you are wondering how to remove them so you can merge segments... perhaps... then your best bet is to do this in source before you bring the file into Studio. There are some messy workarounds using edit source but this is really only suitable for one or two segments at most.

Can you elaborate a little about what you trying to achieve?

Regards

Paul

Thierry Raymond  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I'm sure Feb 19, 2015

Thanks Gianni, but it doesn't work...

And Paul: I know it's pretty hard, but I'm translating an Excel file with a lot of hard returns within the cells (Studio package from the client), like that:

Cell/Segment 1:

- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx

Cell/Segment 2:

- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx HR
- xxxxx

... I have to replace all of them with soft returns.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can you share... Feb 19, 2015

... an example file like this? I cannot force Excel to do this at all and cannot get a hard return into an excel cell! How do you do that!!

I can put soft returns in there easily enough, but not hard returns. So just in case this is what you really mean, and because you most likely want them in one line and not separated, then the only sensible workaround really is to prepare the file correctly and use segmentation rules to not break the lines into separate segments.

If you can't get the project manager to do this properly, then you can always merge these segments as you work. This should be possible within a cell. You can use the keyboard for this too... Alt+space to select, then down arrow to the next segment and finally Ctrl+Alt+S to merge.

If this isn't what you meant at all and you already have these soft returns in a single segment and just want to get rid of them then search for \n which is the regex for a line break and replace with a space (entered by pressing the spacebar).

If you want to change the source then you can also do this using the approach but with the SDLXLIFF Toolkit as this will allow you to change source and/or target.

Hope something in here provides the explanation you're looking for?

Regards

Paul

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Remove the hard returns with spaces in External View? Feb 19, 2015

Would it be a possibility to export to External View, open it in Word and search and substitute a space for ^p? I think I would turn off Track Changes in this instance, by the way.

Germany
Member (2008)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
It is not that complicated Feb 19, 2015

You don't understand what I mean, send me a message at xxxxxxxxx and I will send a screenshot backicon_smile.gif

[Modifié le 2015-02-19 08:17 GMT]

Germany
Member (2008)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 19, 2015

@all: Thank you so much for your help!

@Paul: Thank you for the solution: search for \n and replace with space

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search & Replace Hard returns

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search