Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 18, 2015

Hello everyone

I've edited a translation in Trados 2011 using the external review feature.

1. I did not make my edits in MS Word in "tracked changes", but I expected the edits to be visible in Trados in "tracked changes" when I update from external review. Alas, the changes are not tracked in Trados. Is there anything I should do to enable that feature?

2. Suppose the SDLXLIFF files are updated but no changes are "tracked", and the client decides that they want to see the changes tracked, is there any way that I can "compare" the old and new versions of the SDLXLIFF files to create a version that shows the differences tracked?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2015-02-18 22:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You must track in Word Feb 19, 2015

Otherwise in Studio you see only the final version.
If you have the original version of the export file you could use the compare function in Word to get a file with the changes marked. Otherwise I see no way you could make the changes visible in Studio.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
There is an article here... Feb 19, 2015

... with some workarounds for dealing with issues like this:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

In the comments Lieven Lannoo offerred this method which might be useful for you:
Lieven Lannoo wrote on multifarious:

Just another option to resolve a failure to import (this won’t work when the Studio file has been changed in the meantime):

1. Open both the file you sent for review (A) and the file with review changes (B).
  2. Deactivate Track Changes in both files.
  3. Copy the contents of the target column from document B over the target column of document A. The tracked changes will now also appear correctly in document A (i.e. not the entire column will be marked in red).
  4. Update from external review using document A.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2015-02-19 06:36 GMT]

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Instructions - when updating, choose: Translation rejected Feb 19, 2015

There is Window to choose Translation rejected in drop-down list, then track changes (and comments) are displayed in .sdlxliff file. (I have instructions with detailed procedure with screens of windows).

Updating the Translation
Open the relevant file(s) from the Files view. The reviser’s notes are marked as either tracked changes or comments, and all affected segments will have status Translated Rejected (instead of Translated).

Choose Translated Rejected in the Display drop-down list. (If this list is not shown, select it under View – Toolbars – Display Filter.) In this way, only segments containing tracked changes or comments will show and you don’t have to go through the entire file.
Tracked changes are marked the same way as in Word and comments are marked with yellow highlighting. At the top, the Comments field shows all comments. If you double-click a comment the cursor will automatically move to the segment in question.

Read each comment, make applicable changes and delete all comments one by one or all at once using the Delete Comment or Delete All Target Comments in Active Document commands at the top left of the Comments field:

Use the Move to Next Change button (or the F9 key) and the Accept/Reject buttons to accept/reject tracked changes. (If these buttons are not shown, select View – Toolbars – Track Changes.)

Important! Tracked changes that are not actively rejected are automatically applied, i.e. if you leave a tracked change untouched, Studio will regard it as an accepted change and the finished file will be updated with the reviser’s suggestion. Therefore, make sure to reject all changes that should not be implemented.

...when Updating from External Review

[Edited at 2015-02-19 08:17 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... I guess Feb 19, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
You must track in Word, otherwise in Studio you see only the final version.

Well, that's a bit stupid )-: but thanks for the information.

I guess I'll just have to make a note to tell clients in future that when I edit SDLXLIFF files, I can't deliver a version with tracked changes. I suppose one could give the client a Change Tracker report as consolation.

Gordana Sujdovic wrote:
There is Window to choose Translation rejected in drop-down list, then track changes (and comments) are displayed in .sdlxliff file. (I have instructions with detailed procedure with screens of windows).

Are you saying that if I *didn't* use tracked changes in MS Word, and if I select "Translation rejected", that I will then see tracked changes in Trados itself?

Because if you read my original post, you'll notice that I did not use Tracked Changes in MS Word. And I'm not going to... if it was just one or two files with easy-to-recognise file names, it would have been fine, but I have dozens of documents with long file names that all look more or less the same. After hours and hours of juggling documents, my brain is now soaked.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can I compare/merge two versions of an SDLXLIFF file, then? Feb 19, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
2. Suppose the SDLXLIFF files are updated but no changes are "tracked", and the client decides that they want to see the changes tracked, is there any way that I can "compare" the old and new versions of the SDLXLIFF files to create a version that shows the differences tracked?

Anyone? Or must one use Change Tracker and give the client a report?

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Re Feb 19, 2015

This refers to External review files. Tracked changes show up in .sdlxliff file only when this option, Translation rejected, at the bottom drop-down is selected. Comment show up yellow highlighted.

You send them after review, or get them from reviser. In this case, you may accept, or reject changes.

Then you import (or translators imports them). You select files with tracked changes, and go through each one (well...boring:(

Agency will see your track changes in files Export for External review that you return after review.

All this is in case you used files for External review. They have track changes turned on by default:)

[Edited at 2015-02-19 08:37 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Try the solution I suggested. Feb 19, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Why not just hide the changes when working in Word? Feb 19, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

I guess I'll just have to make a note to tell clients in future that when I edit SDLXLIFF files, I can't deliver a version with tracked changes. I suppose one could give the client a Change Tracker report as consolation.

Why can't you? If you don't turn off Track changes in Word, you should get Track Changes in Studio, so I cannot follow your conclusion.

If you mean that you can't work with Track Changes turned on in Word, that's incorrect. You can have it turned on in Word, but hide it so that you only see the end result of the changes made.

I have a Norwegian version of Word, and you don't tell what version you are using, but in my copy you will find the Track Changes utility in the Revision tab (Se gjennom in Norwegian - not sure what it's called in English)

Here you have 4 choices:
Final: Show HTML codes
Final
Original: Show HTML codes
Original

I would choose Final in your situation.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Gordana Feb 19, 2015

Gordana Sujdovic wrote:
All this is in case you used files for External review. They have track changes turned on by default

Oh, I see what you mean, thanks. You assume that if someone uses "external review", they will not switch off the "track changes" feature in MS Word.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Feb 19, 2015

SDL Support wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Try the solution I suggested.

Thanks, Paul, I did see your offered solution. Your solution is to juggle the "before" and "after" MS Word files and copy/paste columns to and fro. If I had just one or two files, I would have done that. My question with "anyone" in it related to a possible in-Trados solution (i.e. right-click the project and select some kind of option that will merge the SDLXLIFF files with a previous version of it).

United Kingdom
English
I guess if you don't like... Feb 19, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Gordana Sujdovic wrote:
All this is in case you used files for External review. They have track changes turned on by default

Oh, I see what you mean, thanks. You assume that if someone uses "external review", they will not switch off the "track changes" feature in MS Word.

... working with tracked changes on then work in final mode instead. This way track changes is still on but you don't see them as you work.

This solution in Word is designed for light editing of a translation with tracked changes or with none at all.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2015-02-19 19:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011, two questions re: external review import

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search