Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
German to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2015

Hello,

I'm considering a move to a subscription-based hosted desktop solution, can anyone advise as to whether there would be any issues using Studio 2014 in this environment? We would have administrative rights over the hosted server.

Regards
Mary

Direct link Reply with quote

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 12:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
There may be issues with the licensing verification Feb 19, 2015

Hi Mary,

Several months ago, as a sort of proof of concept, I tested installing Studio 2011 on a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine running on AWS, which I accessed via a Remote Desktop Service connection. It seemed to install and work just fine, although I never activated it and only used the trial version, without doing any large volume of work on it.

The issue to me seemed to be that if the product is activated, and then the VM is stopped when not working on it (which would probably be the most cost-effective way of doing it), that this could cause a problem with the activation, because I think that on AWS at least, when the VM is stopped and restarted it appears as an entirely new machine. I never got around to looking into it any further.

But it may work depending on your provider and how you intend to use the VM. Even if you never stop the server you might still need a Trados server version license to make it work. Maybe SDL support could guide you on that. In any case it would be interesting to know how it turns out for you.

[Edited at 2015-02-19 18:14 GMT]

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 24, 2015

Thanks Patrick. I think you're right that it may be the licensing that's the issue. I shall have to try contacting SDL directly, as I would need to be certain it would work before taking the plunge!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2014 & Hosted Desktop

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search