Trados Studio 2014: How do I enter search result into translation?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:44
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Feb 21, 2015

I often use the search function (F3) during translation to check what's used before in the TM. But when I find what I want, I have not found any other way to enter it into the translation than highlighting it with the mouse, and then copy and paste.

Is there some way to use the keyboard to enter the found translation directly into target?

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Ctrl + T Feb 21, 2015

if you want to insert the entire segment.

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctr+T works with windows with hits from TM, but not concordance search Feb 21, 2015

I thought about Ctr+T too, but nothing happens with the Concordance Search, only with the window with hits in the TM.

In the TM window I also have the buttons I can click to either move to a different hit or paste the hit into target, but not in the Concordance Search window. So again, any easy way to copy it directly?

It may seem unnecessary, but in one TM I have, I have entries like the following because of bad segmentation:

No, it is recommended that the module be placed in an upright position. Placing it on its side may limit its ability to play at full output for extended periods of time.

This means that the TM window does not give any hits. If I do a concordance search on the two sentence separately, I get a 100% hit, though, and being able to hit for instance CTR+T to place it into target would be a really life saver. But it apparently does not work.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:44
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No, it doesn't... Feb 21, 2015

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem... Studio 2014 SP2...

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
Finnish to French
Spoilt by memoQ? Feb 21, 2015

Maybe you are missing this feature found in the concordance search window of memoQ:

2015-02-21_1810.png

Looks like there is no shorter way in Studio than the standard copy/paste sequence...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yep... Feb 21, 2015

for example, if you are reviewing your text and change a segment, just below the TM a message will say that the translation in the segment is different from the 100% match... in this case, you can you use Ctrl+T to insert the match from the TM, but this doesn't work with any other concordance match shown in the TM window... which is very frustrating, because you have to do copy and paste...

[Edited at 2015-02-21 16:20 GMT]

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not too used with MemoQ, rather DVX3 Feb 21, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Maybe you are missing this feature found in the concordance search window of memoQ:

2015-02-21_1810.png

Looks like there is no shorter way in Studio than the standard copy/paste sequence...

I did not know that MemoQ had that feature, but I think it sounds useful. A pity if Studio lacks it though. But thanks for your answers.

Regarding Giovanni's reply, if I have multiple fuzzy hits from the TM, I can move between them with Alt+PgDown and Alt+PgUp, and as I move between them, they are entered into target automatically, so I don't have to use Ctr+T at all to get the translation I want. Try it, and watch what happens in the target segment as you move up and down in the TM window.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Have you tried... Feb 21, 2015

... Ctrl+Alt+F3 which will take whatever text you select in the concordance window and insert it into the target segment? If you haven't seen this shortcut it's sometimes a good idea to scroll thorugh the keyboard shortcuts in the options. There are all kinds of things in there you miht find useful.

If you love working with keyboard shortcuts then you could do this... and there might be a better way I just don't know (I'd use a combination of mouse and keyboard I think)...

F3 - concordance from source to source
F6 - put cursor back into the target segment
Ctrl+Tab - switch to the Concordance target window
Ctrl+Alt+F3 - insert the selected text from the concordance window into the active segment

Regards

Paul

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Alt+F3 was what I was looking for Feb 22, 2015

Thanks a lot, and not least the list of other shortcuts too. I am so used to there being some buttons with shortcuts as bubble text that I didn't even consider checking the options.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Feb 22, 2015

thanks a lot from me too! icon_biggrin.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014: How do I enter search result into translation?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search