TRados. Cannot export target file (Error Missing tag '' in segment)
Thread poster: Merab Dekano

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2015

Hello fellow translators

Just finished a large editing job. Reviewed it in Trados Studio 2014 (with track changes). Evething went fine.

It's a package that contains bilingual file (which I edited). I am now trying to export the target document and am getting the following message:

Error Missing tag '' in segment, Please run tag verification to see details.

Twice, actually.

- Of course, I ran tag verification and it shows no errors.
- There are no error indications in the segments either.
- I manually checked all tags in each segment and no tag is missing.

I am puzzled. I have to return the target file and the return package today.

Any idea what else I should be looking at?

Thank you in advance for your help.


 

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Merab. Feb 22, 2015

I had a similar problem very recently, also with a review package in Studio 2014.

The only way I could solve it was by deleting the comments I had added to some of the segments. Then it allowed me to save the target file.

I still don't know why this happened.


I hope this helps for now.

Catarina Lopes


 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No solution so far. Feb 22, 2015

Catarina Lopes wrote:

I had a similar problem very recently, also with a review package in Studio 2014.

The only way I could solve it was by deleting the comments I had added to some of the segments. Then it allowed me to save the target file.

I still don't know why this happened.


I hope this helps for now.

Catarina Lopes


Thanks, Catarina. I did some changes (rejected some of my reviews, anyway). I am down to one error now. It is a segment that sows the error that says: "tag added". In reality, I have not added any tag and there is no tag in the source segment.

When I do "ctrl + ,", it actually suggests tags from completely different segments.

When I try to edit the target segment, it does not allow me to (cannot edit revised content when review mode is off).

This is just frustrating. I did my job (edited very large file) and it took a lot of time (which I enjoyed). Now I am spending even more time on completely unproductive issues (tags, bugs, you name it).

Target file (and I) are hostages of this software. If there were any way to disable this tag verification and have the Word file....


 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The initial package I received was corrupt Feb 22, 2015

I did an experiment. I imported the initial package (the one that I received from the customer) and without doing any editing just tried to export the target file.

Guess what; the same error popped up.

So, my conclusion is that I will have hard time trying to fix an error I have not created.

Any suggestions? I thought to send the customer:

- the edited Trados bilingual file (with my track changes)
- an rtf file "for external review" (which I could export, also with track changes)

Thanks in advance


 

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A possibility. Feb 22, 2015

It also ocurred to me that the original package was causing the problem, as the error warnings mentioned tags and segments that did not even exist in the project.

 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 22, 2015

Catarina Lopes wrote:

It also ocurred to me that the original package was causing the problem, as the error warnings mentioned tags and segments that did not even exist in the project.



Thanks, Catarina. It looks like I am not alone...

I sent the edited bilingual file to the customer and explained the issue. I also asked them to let me know how this tag-related issue have finally gotten solved. I will share the information once I have the news.

Thanks once again!


 

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're welcome, Merab :) Feb 22, 2015

If I'm not mistaken, I remember seeing some recent post titles (did not read them though) regarding difficulties saving target file. So it may be that indeed we are not aloneicon_smile.gif

So far I managed to solve the problem by deleting the comments. If it happens again, and provided that the problem is not with the original package, I better contact SDL support because it could be a bug or something.

It'll be interesting to know if your client managed to save the target file.

Have a good week!


 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Feb 22, 2015

The customer made a copy of the bilingual file, renamed it, accepted all the changes I made and exported the target file without any issue.

Lesson learnt; do not try to export the target file if you have not accepted all the changes you made.

Obviously, this applies to editing jobs only.

Suggestion to SDL Trados team: at least let the error "tell" the translator/editor that first all changes need to be accepted, before trying to export the target file. In my opinion it makes no sense to prevent us from exporting the target file with track changes (what if someone wants to see the changes not in the bilingual file but in Word? What if this "someone" does not have Studio at all?)

I wish all issues had such an easy solutionm:-)

Thanks and best regards


 

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great it has been solved! Feb 23, 2015

Still, I'm afraid that may not have been the original problem, as I always export the target file with track changes. With old versions of word (97-2003), however, you cannot export changes, so you get a final clean file instead.

I've had quite a few struggles lately with Studio 2014 when working on review packages: from saving "incomplete" return packages, loss of formatting when saving word file to not being able to save word file at all. The formatting issue was a bug and it has been reported to SDL.

Well, let's see what the next review project brings...icon_smile.gif

Best regards.


 

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
German to English
Word problem Feb 23, 2015

I have one client and the Word files that I receive from them often cause problems in Studio. My workaround is to start Word, go to open the file but instead of simply clicking the "Open" button after selecting the file I click on the small black triangle on the "Open" button and select the Open and Repair option from the drop down menu. Then I after the file opens I re-save the file under another name. I get a message box saying there is an error in the file but a normal Open in Word tolerates the error, whereas Studio doesn't. It works for me every time.

 

Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Ben Feb 23, 2015

Thank you for the tip!

 

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
German to English
You're welcome Feb 23, 2015

Catarina Lopes wrote:

Thank you for the tip!


I can't guarantee that it will work in all situations for all problems, but it is at least worth a try.


 

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:32
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados 2014 bug still unresolved Jun 21, 2015

I have received a small translated slxliff file and a corresponding docx: the author of the translation met no difficulties in saving as target.

After working on the file, I could not save it as target. The error message reads "Missing tag ' in segment 14-19. Please run the Tag Verification to see details. Tag Verification finds no errors.

If I try to open again the original file (unzipped in a new folder) and save it elsewhere the message appears again.

No tags are visible in the file segments. Selecting "All content" in the review filter I can see some tags, which are identical in the target file.

I cannot even find "carriagereturn" searching the sdlxliff original file in Notepad++

This looks clearly as a bug: it was reported in 3 different threads of this forum in February but di not get any reply by Trados people

@Merab: clearly the problem is not the size of the file, nor the fact that you did not accept the changes. Trados should be able to save as target while retaining the track change markings. If, as in my case, you have not been able to save a file that your client can save, this is still unresolved.


 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I gave up Jun 21, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

I have received a small translated slxliff file and a corresponding docx: the author of the translation met no difficulties in saving as target.

After working on the file, I could not save it as target. The error message reads "Missing tag ' in segment 14-19. Please run the Tag Verification to see details. Tag Verification finds no errors.

If I try to open again the original file (unzipped in a new folder) and save it elsewhere the message appears again.

No tags are visible in the file segments. Selecting "All content" in the review filter I can see some tags, which are identical in the target file.

I cannot even find "carriagereturn" searching the sdlxliff original file in Notepad++

This looks clearly as a bug: it was reported in 3 different threads of this forum in February but di not get any reply by Trados people

@Merab: clearly the problem is not the size of the file, nor the fact that you did not accept the changes. Trados should be able to save as target while retaining the track change markings. If, as in my case, you have not been able to save a file that your client can save, this is still unresolved.


Thank you, Luca. It is somewhat "comforting” that I am not alone, no matter how “selfish" it may sound.

This is precisely the reason I gave up on Studio (I still keep the licence for 2014 edition and may use it as needed, but without support or upgrades) and bought a Déjà Vu X3 licence. It is not a perfect product but I know it will not let me down as Studio did.

In DVX tags are sort of numbers. You’d better not mess up with them, as if you do, at some point it starts exporting source text rather that the translated one. But it DOES ALWAYS export the file. It never holds it hostage.

I think Studio is more robust and stable environment. But it “bosses around” too much. I can compare Studio with Airbus philosophy (the aircraft flies itself; too much power given to the automation. Pilot input virtually eliminated) and DVX with Boeing philosophy (pilot is in control).

I like to be in control. Therefore, I vote for DVX.


 

MelanyDP  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
THANKS! Oct 15, 2016

Ben Senior wrote:

I have one client and the Word files that I receive from them often cause problems in Studio. My workaround is to start Word, go to open the file but instead of simply clicking the "Open" button after selecting the file I click on the small black triangle on the "Open" button and select the Open and Repair option from the drop down menu. Then I after the file opens I re-save the file under another name. I get a message box saying there is an error in the file but a normal Open in Word tolerates the error, whereas Studio doesn't. It works for me every time.


Thank you! This just saved my lifeicon_biggrin.gif


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRados. Cannot export target file (Error Missing tag '' in segment)

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search