Studio 2014 and QuarkXpress 8 files
Thread poster: Eylenn
Eylenn
Local time: 20:21
English to French
Feb 22, 2015

Hello,

I'm supposed to translate QXP 8 files. When creating a new project and selecting the file to add, Studio says that I have to add at least one translatable file = the original QXP file is not a translatable file. Looking at file types, I see QuarkXpress Export files. Searching the forum and SDL knowledge base, I found instructions dated 2010, advising to get CopyFlow Gold. Before spending $495 for this, I need to know whether there's another way, given that I'm using Studio 2014, not the older versions mentioned in the advice I found.

Thanks.

Hélène Dion
Blainville, QC, Canada

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
English
Studio will handle these formats from QuarkExpress... Feb 22, 2015

*.xtg or *.tag

I believe that *.xtg is the best format for single stories exported directly from QuarkExpress. But if you have multiple stories then the *.tag format created by CopyFlow Gold is probably the more efficient way to go.

I'd be quite interested to hear the experience of anyone handling these formats as I don't see them at all.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Eylenn
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CopyFlow Gold to QXP - so close to making it work Feb 24, 2015

Thanks, Paul. I'm "this" close to reporting it works, up to the last step. So far, using the plug-in, I've managed to export text to a .tag file, open this file with Studio 2014, translate it and Save Target As. But when reopening the QXP file and using CopyFlow Gold to import it, I hit a snag: CFG says it imported the stories but they simply don't show. Textboxes are empty, the source text is gone and is not replaced with anything. In a few text boxes, black lines are displayed.

I've watched the CFG tutorial videos several times and mimicked each step but failed to reproduce the last import. The video shows an older version of SDL software. Maybe that's the problem. I've contacted napsys, I hope they will help to clear this up.

Eylenn
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2014 and UTF-16 Feb 24, 2015

Paul,

I've been experimenting with this again, using Peter B.'s Release notes, video tutorial and blog.

Still no joy, but I read in his Troubleshooting blog (dated 2010 ;( )that a difference in the translation file's encoding could result in a blank import, which is what happens to me.

CFG's Preferences is to be set to Encoding UTF-16.

Checking this when using Studio 2014 Save Target As, I found that UTF-16 is not listed in the choices in the Save Target As > Encoding drop down menu.

Since I see that UTF-32 is listed, just before UTF-8, I wonder if this means that UTF-16 actually IS the Auto-Select choice (which would mean that the blank import is not the result of a difference in encoding). Can you confirm that Auto-Select encoding is UTF-16 if the source file uses UTF-16?

Hélène D.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 and QuarkXpress 8 files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search