Thread poster: Kjetil Kiran

Kjetil Kiran  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 10:36
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Feb 23, 2015

I'm using several computers and Dropbox. It would be nice if it was possible to have new project packages you open automatically suggest a Dropbox location instead of /Documents/SDL Trados 2014/Projects. Is there any way to make this happen, without have to manually change it for every package you add?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use project templates Feb 23, 2015

Create a project template and use this template for your future projects. These projects will then use all the settings of your template.

You can create a template in the last step of project creation (prompt at the bottom of the window) or create one from an existing project by right-clicking on the project ion the project view list and selecting "Create project template".

Alternatively, you may also create a new project based on an existing one and this will also take over all the settings.

Walter

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But will it work with packages? Feb 23, 2015

But will this work when adding packages? I can see this is a good solution when creating projects, but I mostly work with packages. And it is a hassle having to change the destination manually for packages you add.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kjetil Feb 23, 2015

Kjetil Kiran wrote:
It would be nice if it was possible to have new project packages you open automatically suggest a Dropbox location instead of /Documents/SDL Trados 2014/Projects.

It must be possible, because I did it, but I can't remember how I did it. Whenever I open a package or create a new project, it automatically suggests a location in a folder on my Desktop called "Trados Projects".

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guess I have to pay to find out Mar 4, 2015

Companies that cant answer simple questions without you needing a payed support subscription are not rated high on my list ...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Where does it say you have to pay for this? Mar 4, 2015

Kjetil Kiran wrote:

Companies that cant answer simple questions without you needing a paid support subscription are not rated high on my list ...

Hi Kjetil,

You asked a question in a public forum and it was answered by users in the community. There is no separate place to create paths, but as As Walter already answered, you can use a project template.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally figured it out Mar 4, 2015

I knew it was possible, but nobody could tell how to actually do it. Turns out I had to make a new project template, and the first location you add there, will be remembered for all the once later. Why you cant modify a excisting template, is beyond me. I'm amazed it is this complicated to change a path, having to make a whole new template, which means adding all your shourtcuts etc again.

At least I solved it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change standard file destination for new projects

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search