Panama
Local time: 08:25
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2015

Good afternoon,
I teach translation in Panama

I am very uncomfortable with downloading big programs, much more at ease with using cloud CAT tools (mem source, wordfast anywhere etc..) which allow to work from any computer, and allow limited access to my students.

My basic question is, if I usually migrate from one computer to the other because I work at several workplaces, can I get from trados just a licence number or another system allowing me to access .sdltm files without the hassle of having to download trados?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Nadezhda & Vatslav Yehurnovy  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:25
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
You can convert .sdltb files as well Feb 23, 2015

This GUI program can be used to convert Trados Studio translation memories (.sdltm) to tmx or Trados Studio termbases (.sdltb) to csv or txt. All output files are encoded in UTF-8. The program is an executable .jar file which does not require installation. It works on Windows, Linux and Mac (termbase functionality not tested on Mac, it would be great if someone could confirm that it works), provided that Java 1.7 is installed. It is being offered as is, without any warranties of any kind.

http://www.vannellen.com/fortranslators.php

And it is really a very helpful program.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Databases and databases Feb 23, 2015

My CAT tool can open and convert SDLTM files (to TMX, a.o.), but you should be able to connect to them using SQLite. An SDLTB file, however, is an MS Access file.

Just copy the relevant data, and paste them in a file format your Cloud tools can handle.

Van Nellen's solution is probably the way to go, but I can't test it because I'm not prepared to upgrade to JRE 1.7 (on a Mac) at the moment. Too much susah.

Cheers,

Hans

Andre Dumoulin  Identity Verified
Panama
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 24, 2015

Well thank you for your answer.
Actually I have purchased Trados starter.

And I have access to the cloud SDL language solution but at my disappointment, when I try to upload my sdtlm file of 8.5 megabits, I have the message "This file is too big"...

I will study your solutions but for this client, it will be too late. And thanks for the link and the tips.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Too big? Seriously? Feb 24, 2015

Andre Dumoulin wrote:
...when I try to upload my sdtlm file of 8.5 megabits, I have the message "This file is too big"...

8.5 Mb (not MB?) too big? Now 8.5 GB I'd consider pretty big.

Just for kicks (nothing better to do anyway), I opened a rather small SDLTM file

and converted it to TMX. This seems to make a lot of sense, size-wise:

You will lose some information, but that will probably be information you can't use in your online CAT tool anyway.

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
Finnish to French
Limitations of Starter edition Feb 24, 2015

Andre Dumoulin wrote:
Actually I have purchased Trados starter.

And I have access to the cloud SDL language solution but at my disappointment, when I try to upload my sdtlm file of 8.5 megabits, I have the message "This file is too big"...

The limitations are stated here:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/starter/index-tab3.html#tag2

What are the restrictions in the SDL Trados Studio Starter edition?
Limited translation memory size (approx. 50,000 words)

What can I do with the Starter edition?
Create your own translation memory (limited to 5,000 translation units) to work on your own file

Andre Dumoulin  Identity Verified
Panama
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not above the limit. Feb 24, 2015

The file is 8.5 mega, but the amount of words announced is less than 4,000.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

converting .sdltm

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search