Thread poster: Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2015

I got this taggy excel file so I used the embedded content feature to isolate the tags. I had to define them as placeholders (single, unpaired tags), because some of them did not have the end tags of the pair in the same segment, and then Studio would throw an error during conversion.

Now, I get matches with wrong tags, so I want to remove them, but the Ctrl+Alt+Space shortcut does not work. Why doesn't it work on placeholder tags?

[Edited at 2015-03-02 1
... See more
I got this taggy excel file so I used the embedded content feature to isolate the tags. I had to define them as placeholders (single, unpaired tags), because some of them did not have the end tags of the pair in the same segment, and then Studio would throw an error during conversion.

Now, I get matches with wrong tags, so I want to remove them, but the Ctrl+Alt+Space shortcut does not work. Why doesn't it work on placeholder tags?

[Edited at 2015-03-02 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Because... Mar 2, 2015

... the Ctrl+Alt+Space command is for clearing formatting tags only. Placeholders do not represent formatting since you require an opening and closing tag.

So for example. If you use this solution then Ctrl+Alt+Space won't work:

Placeholder tag
</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

If you use this one it will:

Opening tag
... See more
... the Ctrl+Alt+Space command is for clearing formatting tags only. Placeholders do not represent formatting since you require an opening and closing tag.

Placeholder tag
</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

Opening tag
<[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

Closing tag
</[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So there is no way? Mar 3, 2015

So is there a command or shortcut to get rid of placeholder tags in one go or not?

When I used paired tags, when there was no closing tag in the segment, Studio threw an error and failed to convert the file to sdlxliff.

SDL Community wrote:

Placeholder tag

Opening tag

Closing tag

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

P.S. Your tags went to /dev/null when your message was quoted.

[Edited at 2015-03-03 06:43 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Tags Mar 3, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

So is there a command or shortcut to get rid of placeholder tags in one go or not?

No. I wish there was, but this is for formatting tags only. So if placeholders are misused then this doesn't apply.

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Placeholder tag
</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

Opening tag
<[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

Closing tag
</[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

P.S. Your tags went to /dev/null when your message was quoted.

... unless you rewrite them with entities ProZ always does that!

On your error. This is most likely because you have to be careful with the rules when creating tag pairs. If you overlap anything with your regex then it's quite possible you'll cause a problem. The expression I gave you above was a generic catchall that won't always work. It does in most cases, but if you have a very taggy file it can also cause a problem. In this case you probably have to try and be more specific about the rules. It would be better if we had the same possibility for Excel as we have for XML with the HTML processor... maybe in a future release.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Studio 2014] Ctrl+Alt+space does not clear tags

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »