Best SDL apps? Trados beginner - French to English
Thread poster: Rodrigues72

Rodrigues72  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:11
French to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2015

I'm quite new to Trados - I have Studio 2014 Freelance - and I'm trying to find my way around, so I'm hoping that those of you who are already experienced might have some good advice. I've been looking in the SDL app store and I'm a bit lost! I was looking originally for a French-English auto-suggest dictionary, but apparently there isn't one for my languages (French to English and Irish to English). I've managed to figure out that I'll just have to buy the auto-suggest creator and wait for it to build up over time. So I was wondering, what other apps (free or otherwise) would you consider indispensable or very useful?

 

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:11
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Resources Mar 9, 2015

If you are looking for TMs, glossaries and AutoSuggest dictionaries, you can try https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/. You should be able to find some interesting resources under "Translation Tools & Resources". Under tutorials, you will also find a nice video tutorial about Glossary Converter, one of the best tools on SDL OpenExchange.

 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:11
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Probably none at the moment Mar 9, 2015

Rodrigues72 wrote:

I'm quite new to Trados - I have Studio 2014 Freelance - and I'm trying to find my way around, so I'm hoping that those of you who are already experienced might have some good advice. I've been looking in the SDL app store and I'm a bit lost! I was looking originally for a French-English auto-suggest dictionary, but apparently there isn't one for my languages (French to English and Irish to English). I've managed to figure out that I'll just have to buy the auto-suggest creator and wait for it to build up over time. So I was wondering, what other apps (free or otherwise) would you consider indispensable or very useful?



My advice would be: don't bother with that now. I'd say that no free or paid apps will be indispensable or very useful to beginners. I suggest that you start working with Studio as it is. If you think something is missing later, you can always have a look whether there's an app for that.


 

Rodrigues72  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:11
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely nothing? Mar 9, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

My advice would be: don't bother with that now. I'd say that no free or paid apps will be indispensable or very useful to beginners. I suggest that you start working with Studio as it is. If you think something is missing later, you can always have a look whether there's an app for that.



Would you include the auto-suggest creator in that? I was presuming that the purchase of that particular app is a case of better sooner rather than later...


 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:11
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Autosuggest Mar 9, 2015

Rodrigues72 wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

My advice would be: don't bother with that now. I'd say that no free or paid apps will be indispensable or very useful to beginners. I suggest that you start working with Studio as it is. If you think something is missing later, you can always have a look whether there's an app for that.



Would you include the auto-suggest creator in that? I was presuming that the purchase of that particular app is a case of better sooner rather than later...


The Autosuggest creator will work only with a TM of at least 10.000 TUs. Unless you have a sufficiently large TM, the AS creator isn't going to help you in any way. You don't necessarily need to create the TM yourself, though - you can use existing TMs (like the public EU corpora).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about that until you have gained some experience working with Studio. If you want to try the Autosuggest feature and if you're working in relevant fields, you can find useful Autosuggest dictionaries under the link Siegfried provided. You don't need the creator app for using those dictionaries.

HTH,
Erik


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:11
English
If you purchased this already... Mar 9, 2015

Rodrigues72 wrote:

Would you include the auto-suggest creator in that? I was presuming that the purchase of that particular app is a case of better sooner rather than later...


... then that's great. It's not an app though, this is a feature in Studio you unlocked with that particular license. As Erik menioned you do need a TM of at least 10,000 TUs before you can make use of this, but as you seem to work in EU languages you could make use of the downloadable TMs from the EU to supplement your own as it grows.

There's an article on how to do this here which you might find useful : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-64

Generally I think the app store comes into its own once you start to use the product and then have questions over additional features you'd like to use. So the Glossary Converter, or better still the Glossary Plugin, will provide ways to make it much easier for you to work with terminology and share that work with others, or with your clients.

If you wanted to take advantage of Machine Translation via AutoSuggest then there are a couple of apps available (one, and two) that will give you suggestions for the translation based on Machine Translation (MT). Quite useful for many translators as an additional productivity enhancement even when they don't like to work with MT. These apps give you short word or phrase suggestions which MT is often pretty good at.

Another good one is AnyTM which will allow you to use any TM you like in your project, whether the languages match or not. Great for using English US in an English GB project for example, but also useful when you want to use a reference TM based on a completely different language pair. So for example I have seen translators using this to look up English - German translations in an English - Dutch project.

All in all I think the advice from Erik is sound. Get used to the software first and then start to look at the apps. A good way to do that is click on the most downloads link and then you'll get the apps listed in order of preference.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support


 

Rodrigues72  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:11
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 10, 2015

Thanks everyone for your enlightening repliesicon_smile.gif

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best SDL apps? Trados beginner - French to English

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search