English to Portuguese dictionaries to upload in the Language cloud
Thread poster: Ana Carla Guimarães

Ana Carla Guimarães  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:59
English to Portuguese
Mar 9, 2015

Hi,
I am trying to find a dictionary up to 300MB to upload into SDL Trados Studio 2014 language cloud. I found one called IATE, but it has 634MB and the cloud did not accept it. Any hints? The extension of the dictionary should be .tbx
Thanks
Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:59
English
Why do you want to do this? Mar 10, 2015

Hi Ana,

Presumably you are referring to the TBX import for Language Cloud Machine Translation? These imports are used to make sure that the MT engine correctly translates specific words. Often this is brand names, or non-translatables. So if you load the IATE TBX, which needs a pretty good clean up (see this article) then you might even be introducing worse MT than the baseline!

Did you really just want the ATE termbase as an autosuggest resource rather than as a means to correct Machine Translation results? It might work better like that if you used MT Autosuggest from the Language Cloud in combination with your termbase.

Just wondered...

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Australia
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Using all resources available on the language cloud package #2 for $10/month Mar 10, 2015

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

Apparently this dictionary is not the best option to upload. I am just trying to use all the resources available at the $10 subscription/month for the Language Cloud. The basic difference from the free trial is the dictionary included, which I thought it would be available right away, but when I opened it, I realized I still had to import one.

So, if this dictionary is not the best option, any idea of which dictionary I can import to the Cloud?

Thanks

[Edited at 2015-03-10 02:10 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:59
English
The best one... Mar 10, 2015

Ana Guimaraes wrote:

So, if this dictionary is not the best option, any idea of which dictionary I can import to the Cloud?

... is the one you create to ensure more accurate Machine Translation. So I would suggest you just work with the Machine Translation results and when you see there are words being translated incorrectly, or brands being translated when you don't want them to be, then you add the word pair to your dictionary.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Australia
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 10, 2015

Thanks, Paul...So, I guess I am going to come back to the free trial. I paid for this package on Thu, only for the dictionary, but I won't use it because I just started using Trados, so I have no glossary to upload.
I'll try to see if SDL allows me to reverse the purchase and come back to the free trial.
If you have any email I can contact, I appreciate it.
But anyway, thanks for your help
Ana Carla

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:59
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
English to Portuguese dictionaries to upload in the Language cloud Mar 12, 2015

Hi Ana Carla,

Paul kindly passed on your contact details.

I just wanted to let you know I am looking into this for and will get back to you as soon as I have a solution.

Kind regards

Steve

Australia
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steve! Mar 12, 2015

I appreciate it!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English to Portuguese dictionaries to upload in the Language cloud

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search