Bug report: TM ID keeps changing back after I changed it
Thread poster: Hybinette
Hybinette
Local time: 23:41
German to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2015

When I submit my translations to the agency, the segments are supposed to be marked with a certain TM ID (i.e. the signature of the translation unit in the memory). However, no matter how many times I go to File > Setup > Users to change this, Trados keeps changing it back to the name of my computer! This is driving me crazy, especially since I've encountered this bug before. I know I have gotten rid of it some time ago after having reinstalled the program 2-3 times, but this shouldn't be neccessary. Would be nice to get some feedback from an SDL representative on how to resolve this very annoying bug.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dmitry Pakidov
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:41
I also have this issue Mar 12, 2015

I’ve tried reporting this bug, but the respective topic was ignored. The changes introduced in 11.2.4364.8 (CU8) broke the way how User ID works, and its behaviour now is completely erratic and moreover different on different PCs. The behaviour I’m seeing currently on my PC (@ version 11.2.4378.9, CU9) is that in segments newly entered into a TM the “Last used by” and “Created by” fields use the correct User ID indicated in the settings, while the “Last modified by” field uses an incorrect User ID composed of the computer name\Windows user name. On other PCs the behaviour may be completely opposite, e.g. new segments have a correct entry in the “Last modified by” field and two incorrect entries in the two other fields.

Also, I find it completely absurd that in order to effectively report bugs (including those introduced in new CUs and service packs!) you need to have a valid PSMA, the only passable alternative being these forums with no guarantee of your post being actually read and replied to by an SDL representative (and even if it is replied to, with no guarantee of the bug actually being fixed in the near future). It’s stunning how such bugs manage to get past QA\QC in both major and minor releases, assuming that these procedures are carried out at all.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You just did... Mar 12, 2015

Dmitry Pakidov wrote:

Also, I find it completely absurd that in order to effectively report bugs (including those introduced in new CUs and service packs!) you need to have a valid PSMA, the only passable alternative being these forums with no guarantee of your post being actually read and replied to by an SDL representative (and even if it is replied to, with no guarantee of the bug actually being fixed in the near future). It’s stunning how such bugs manage to get past QA\QC in both major and minor releases, assuming that these procedures are carried out at all.

... but as you say there is no guarantee we'll read it because this is an independent forum that we check from time to time to see if anyone needs help. A better place to post would be in the SDL Community where you post is guaranteed to be read by someone from SDL. It still doesn't guarantee we'll fix everything people report immediately, but we will let you know whether we already know about it and possibly even when you can expect a fix.

Finding all the bugs is harder than you might think. We have a Beta program with external and internal translators who work with the Beta versions, many in their production environment, but we can still miss things. Sometimes because they are less used features and other times because we fix something late in the day that was relatively minor and it turns out to effect something in the most unlikely of places; other times windows uipdates and we get affected by changes there; or a new version of the software used to create source files is released and this also causes a problem. It's quite tricky. But we do try to get back and fix them as quickly as we can.

So post into the SDL Community with or without a PSMA and tell us anything you like!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Dmitry Pakidov
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:41
Thanks for the tip Mar 12, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip! I’ll make sure to post on the SDL Community forums when I encounter further issues.

While you’re here, any chance you could comment on the subject of the topic (first paragraph of my original post)?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
The only comment... Mar 12, 2015

Dmitry Pakidov wrote:

While you’re here, any chance you could comment on the subject of the topic (first paragraph of my original post)?

... I can make at the moment is that this is a bug. There were some changes made to resolve the way TMs were updated and try to use information within the SDLXLIFF for the update. This caused the problem described here and this is currently with development for resolution as quickly as possible.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This problem has been acknowledged Mar 14, 2015

Dmitry

The problem you describe has been acknowledged by SDL and should get resolved in the next CU.

It is related to the changes made in CU8 to the TM update process, as Paul already pointed out.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug report: TM ID keeps changing back after I changed it

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search