False 100% matches from low quality TM
Thread poster: mek0n

mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:52
Member (2014)
German to English
Mar 12, 2015

I've got a problem which I'm not experienced enough with Studio 2014 to be sure of solving.

I receive a text to translate, together with the analysis.

I find that some of the 100% matches based on the TM are more like 0% matches.

I translate these segments from scratch.

Now, I need to find out how to do a new analysis when I've finished the translation so basically I can get paid for the work I've done on the so-called 100% matches, for which I would normally not get anything.

Thanks in advance

Ross Greville

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Misunderstanding Mar 12, 2015

Dear Ross,

I'm suspecting you're confusing something here: You're probably experiencing a bad TM rather than flawed matching.

A 100% match means that a source text segment is absolutely identical to a source segment stored in your TM. That, of course, does in no way say anything about the quality of the target segment stored in your TM.

To solve this problem, you need to be sure about the quality of the TM before you accept discounts for TM matches.

In order to find out how much you'd have charged without offering discounts for TM matches, just analyze your source file against an empty TM.

HTH,
kind regards,
Erik

mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
False 100% matches from low quality TM Mar 12, 2015

No confusion actually (see post heading) - I was pretty sure the problem is with a bad memory.

However, your suggestion of running an analysis against an empty TM looks good. How do I do this exactly? (Sorry to be so useless but my brain hurts with this job too much already)

Regards and thanks for your time, Erik

Ross

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Create new TM, activate current ones, run batch task "analyze". Mar 12, 2015

Open the Project Settings window. Under Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - TMs (wording may be different, I'm not using the English UI), you'll find a list of your active TMs. Deactivate all current TMs. Above the list, there's a button labelled "create" (or something like that). Create a new TM with the relevant settings and activate it.

Now go to the "Files" tab (left side) and run the Batch task "Analyze".

mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 12, 2015

Thanks Erik,

Got the analyses done and now waiting to see what the agency says

Ross

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

False 100% matches from low quality TM

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search