SDL MultiTerm 2014 create termbase with 2 English language fields (1 for acronyms and 1 for name)
Thread poster: Sonia Bjerke Abdelmaguid

Sonia Bjerke Abdelmaguid  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:23
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Mar 12, 2015

Hello colleagues all over the world,

I need to create a termbase to which I can add names/titles and their acronyms/initials in English, French, Spanish, Norwegian. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can organise this? I currently only have the English names/titles and their acronyms/initials, and I am planning to add the other names/titles and their acronyms/initials as I go. The problem is that I need two English language fields, one for the acronym and the other for whole name/title spelled out. In addition I need three other language fields for FR, ES and NO (acronyms of these three languages will be in the actual entry, so no separate language field needed for the acronyms in FR, ES, NO). As a sum up, I will need 2 x EN fields. Most of the glossaries that I will import come from Excel. If I make two columns called English it doesn't understand what I want to do and ends up importing everything into 1 English language fields (so acronyms and names/titles appear in the same termlist).

I hope you will understand my explanation

Thanks very much in advance!

Sonia

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
English
Why don't you... Mar 12, 2015

... create an empty termbase in MultiTerm in the form you'd like it to look. Just one record with all the fields filled in. You can visualize it as you add the fields in the wizard and this might help you achieve what you want. Then you'll have the makings of exactly what you need to do. Once you have this you can export it via the Glossary Converter directly to Excel and then you'll also see what format you need to go back the other way.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm 2014 create termbase with 2 English language fields (1 for acronyms and 1 for name)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search