Thread poster: Laurent Tantôt
Laurent Tantôt
Laurent Tantôt
Canada
Local time: 22:56
English to French
Mar 14, 2015

Hi,

I recently downloaded and installed the trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2014 on a virtual machine created with VMware Fusion and running with Windows 8.1.
All was working well for a day or two.

Tonight, when I opened my machine and double clicked on the SDL icon, I got an error message telling me that my active license is "SDL Trados Studio 2011 Professional" and that it does not support the product version I have. It offers me to deactivate it, but I canno
... See more
Hi,

I recently downloaded and installed the trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2014 on a virtual machine created with VMware Fusion and running with Windows 8.1.
All was working well for a day or two.

Tonight, when I opened my machine and double clicked on the SDL icon, I got an error message telling me that my active license is "SDL Trados Studio 2011 Professional" and that it does not support the product version I have. It offers me to deactivate it, but I cannot because I do not have an SDL account (it's a trial version for goodness' sake!)

Anyone has any idea of what I can do?

Thanks,
Laurent.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:56
French to German
+ ...
Trial version will only run on a "SDL free" PC Mar 14, 2015

Laurent

When you install Studio (any version), the installer checks whether any version fo the product has ever been installed on your PC. If that is not the case, you get 30 days trial time with all features.

If there are traces of a previous installation, you don't and this seems to be your case as you have been running Studio 2011 earlier in time. You can only benefit of the 30 days trial once on a given computer.

As you are running VMWare Fusion
... See more
Laurent

When you install Studio (any version), the installer checks whether any version fo the product has ever been installed on your PC. If that is not the case, you get 30 days trial time with all features.

If there are traces of a previous installation, you don't and this seems to be your case as you have been running Studio 2011 earlier in time. You can only benefit of the 30 days trial once on a given computer.

As you are running VMWare Fusion, you could revert back to a snapshot that was created before you installed Studio 2011, you would however lose a lot of other stuff, so I don't know how feasible this is for you.

Walter
Collapse

Laurent Tantôt
Laurent Tantôt
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 14, 2015

Thank you Walter.

However, I forgot to mention that I had never installed any version of SDL Trados on my computer (MacBook Pro with OS X 10.10), and that I had created that virtual machine just the day before specifically to install the trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2014. Therefore, that message about the Studio 2011 license is mysterious. I don't have one and never had one.

I learnt I might run into problems if the virtual machine is not isolated from the OS X pa
... See more
Thank you Walter.

However, I forgot to mention that I had never installed any version of SDL Trados on my computer (MacBook Pro with OS X 10.10), and that I had created that virtual machine just the day before specifically to install the trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2014. Therefore, that message about the Studio 2011 license is mysterious. I don't have one and never had one.

I learnt I might run into problems if the virtual machine is not isolated from the OS X part, so I tried that. It didn't solve the problem in hand.

Now, I'm going to try and delete the virtual machine and recreate a new one. We'll see what happens.

Laurent.
Collapse

Laurent Tantôt
Laurent Tantôt
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Recreating the virtual machine worked Mar 15, 2015

Well, it worked but how long it will last, I don't know. I got the 30 day trial anew. But since I need to work and deliver, I am not going to turn off my virtual machine until I'm done.

If it is stable enough, I shall have discovered a way to use Studio 2014 indefinitely without ever buying a license. That is if you are prepared to recreate a virtual machine (about 1 hr) every 30 days. I don't recommend it.

Laurent.

[Modifié le 2015-03-16 13:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2014 in VMware Fusion machine

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »