Thread poster: Eric MARRET

Eric MARRET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:56
Member (2006)
English to French
Mar 14, 2015

Hi,

I am translating a big file with a lot of HTML tags in the source text.

These tags are not recognised as such by Studio 2014: "< span class="yui-button">< button type="button">Launch< /button>< /span>< /span> "& l t ;" etc. (I added some spaces).

I was wondering if there is an easy way (such as drag & drop, like in SDLX) to transfer those tags in the target text.

At the moment I am using copy & paste or if there are too many tags to transfer, I just transfer the whole source segment in the target column through the dedicated short-cut and then translate the English text.

This procedure is quite time consuming and I would be very thankful if anyone had a tip to speed up the process.

Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What's the source file? Mar 14, 2015

Perhaps it's possible to prepare the file better?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
source file prepared by agency Mar 14, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your swift feedback

The source file was prepared by the agency.
I just received a package, the extension shows it was prepared from a "doc" file (.doc.sdlxliff).

I also encountered this problem with other jobs when I had to retain some official names like "Aircraft Engineers Association".

United Kingdom
English
Different problems... Mar 14, 2015

Hi Eric,

The "Aircraft Engineers Association" could be resolved by ading this to your variables list. The embedded html code is something that would need to be resolved when the file is prepared. HTML code in a word doc is unfortunately a poor practice (in my opinion) that still goes on with many companies operating a word workflow for HTML or XML files. However, when they do this they normally prepare the files so that the tagged content is marked up appropriately so even in a word file you don't have to worry about it.

There's an article here that explains one way to do this, but I think most companies who do this run a macro on the file to make it simple. So you should probably go back to your client... maybe they just forgot?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for useful info Mar 15, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info and the link.
I will forward it to the agency on next job as it looks as though it's kind of late for the concerned job, I am already more than halfway through and have to deliver on Monday.

I will also have a look at the variables list, although I don't have the time to look for it right now... and I am not sure where to look.

However please note (& escalate?) that I would love a drag and drop - or right click on the source word and "insert in target" - feature to easily copy from source to target.
That would be very useful for all kind of references (part numbers, software version numbers etc.) where letters and numbers are mixed like this: 435GHB12; because these are not recognized by QuickPlace.

Regards

Eric

[Edited at 2015-03-15 12:00 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Alphanumeric recognition in SP2 Mar 15, 2015

Eric MARRET wrote:

That would be very useful for all kind of references (part numbers, software version numbers etc.) where letters and numbers are mixed like this: 435GHB12; because these are not recognized by QuickPlace.

Alphanumeric recognition is a new feature introduced in Studio 2014 SP2.
The example you mention should be recognised as a placeable.

To enable alphanumeric recognition in old TMs, check out this blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/11/19/2014-sp2/

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Despite SP2, alphanumerics still aren't recognised in new segments Mar 15, 2015

Thanks a lot Emma for this very useful blog post.

I followed the steps and found that those new features were activated by default after SP2 install.
So I did re-index my TM and inputted a text replacement penalty.

However, my question remains as is: if you have a new segment with an unknown (i.e. not in the TM) alphanumeric reference/acronym, you still can't copy it easily (through QuickPlace or a drag feature) in the target segment.
I just came across "Please enter credit card CVV2 number" and CVV2 isn't recognised.

This basic drag and copy feature exists in SDLX, I can't understand why it hasn't been implemented in Studio.

Regards

Eric

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Alphanumeric strings as placeables. Mar 15, 2015

I just came across "Please enter credit card CVV2 number" and CVV2 isn't recognised.

Hmm, CVV2 should be recognised as a placeable, and then you can use ctrl+comma to transfer it to the target segment:

Not sure what to suggest now.

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
no avail Mar 15, 2015

After reading your post, I closed and reopened Studio, just in case, with no avail: CVV2 is still not recognised (no blue underscore, and doesn't display with ctrl+comma).

Maybe a setting of mine isn't correct..

Thanks anyway
I'll keep going this way

Best regards

United Kingdom
English
Possible missing settings... Mar 15, 2015

... could be:

• No TM in your project at all
  • A disabled TM in your Project
  • Acronym/Alphanumeric checkbox unchecked
  • File -> Editor -> Automation -> Perform lookup when active segment changes unchecked

They seem the most likely culprits I think.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
settings ok, no avail Mar 15, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

• No TM in your project at all
  • A disabled TM in your Project
  • Acronym/Alphanumeric checkbox unchecked
  • File -> Editor -> Automation -> Perform lookup when active segment changes unchecked

1: 2 TMs in my project: in client's package + mine
2: both TMs actives
3: checked
4: checked

I am wondering why you mention TM settings because as far as I know, QuickPlace should recognize "CVV2" as a placeable whatever the TM result, like it did with Emma.

Do you think I should uninstall/reinstall Studio? icon_frown.gif

Regards

Eric

United Kingdom
English
It should do... Mar 15, 2015

Eric MARRET wrote:

QuickPlace should recognize "CVV2" as a placeable whatever the TM result, like it did with Emma.

But not under the circumstances I noted.

Maybe also confirm you made the changes in Project Settings and not in File -> Options? The latter would be ineffective for the existing project.

I don't think this is a reinstallation issue... it is more likely to be something really simple and we just can't see it. It's quite difficult to guess what people are looking at and what they write they are looking at.

Drop me an email if you like and we can take a quick look over skype. Might be faster!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
pfilkin@sdl.com

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
will do Mar 16, 2015

I did edit the parameters in Project settings.

I will send you an email this morning

Regards

Eric

France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
alphanumeric placeables fixed! Mar 17, 2015

Thanks to Paul, the issue is fixed:

Parameters in received package TM were not correctly set.
So, in the project settings, I put my local TM (with correct parameters as per Emma's link above) on top of the TMs list in order to override package TM settings...
Done!

Now my alphanumeric placeables are correctly identified and I can use QuickPlace to swiftly copy the placeable in the target segment.

icon_smile.gif

P.S. a drag & drop (copy) feature from source to target is still on top of my wishlist

[Edited at 2015-03-17 09:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 drag & drop source text?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search