Can not create TM in Starter edition
Thread poster: Monika Richrath

Monika Richrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:54
Simple English to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2015

Hello, I hope that someone can help me. I purchased a Trados Starter licence and wanted to create my first local termbase but I am unable to do so. I always get the message that I have no right to do so. exact message (Sie haben keine Berechtigung für das Öffnen des TMs zur Datenpflege).

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
termbase / translation memory Mar 15, 2015

You mention TM (translation memory) in your title. The Starter version of Studio lets you create and use a TM of up to 5000 units (one TM at a time).

The rest of your post is about using a TB (termbase). With the Starter version you can't create a termbase (because it doesn't come with MultiTerm) but if someone sends you a TB I'm pretty sure you can add it in the Starter version.

You might want to check out this comparison of versions on the SDL website:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/

and a review of the Starter version that Allison Wright wrote on my blog:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/01/31/studio-starter/

Germany
Simple English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to open the TM Mar 15, 2015

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.

I read your answer and I understood the distinction between TM and termbase. And I see that the problem is not that I can not create a TM but I can not open it. I had the idea to enter terms which I use very often. Or is it only possible to enter something during the process of translating or reviewing?

Thank you again.

sacale  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 22:54
English to German
+ ...
Starter Edition does not include SDL MultiTerm Mar 15, 2015

Hi there
It still seems a little like you're confusing TM and TB here...

If you want to enter single terms (as you wrote in the last entry), then you would have to do that using SDL MultiTerm, which is not included in the starter edition. You can find the included functionalities here for reference.

So if you are trying to find a way to make a list of terms available, you could set up a project where you translate that list of terms... Problem with that: You can only use one TM at a time, so you would ALWAYS have to use this one TM in projects. It might work for you, but it won't be a practicable idea if you're translating anything for an external client from a package. You wouldn't be able to open your own TM with your "personal favorites". And of course it's not a very elegant solution for entering terms.

Hope this helps a little
Sarah

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Opening / editing a TM Mar 15, 2015

Monika Richrath wrote:

I had the idea to enter terms which I use very often. Or is it only possible to enter something during the process of translating or reviewing?

Sorry to go on about the difference between TMs and TBs, but it's also relevant here.

Termbases are for storing single words or a short string, which is what you mention.

Translation memories are for storing whole sentences (usually). TMs grow as you translate documents, not by entering terms by hand.
Another way to enter content in a TM is by aligning a source document that has already been translated. Studio aligns the source and target sentences and enters them in a TM. However, the Starter version doesn't come with the alignment feature.

So, to answer your question, you assign/open a TM as part of a translation project and the translated segments are automatically entered into the TM when you confirm them.

You can also open a TM to edit segments in the Translation Memories window, and you can export it as a TMX and edit / add segments in other programs, but, again, the Starter version doesn't have the Translation Memories window or TMX export features.

Germany
Simple English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 15, 2015

Thank you both! Now, I know more ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can not create TM in Starter edition

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search