How to clean formatting tags exported to Word from Trados Studio Starter.
Thread poster: George Rabel

George Rabel  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 17, 2015

The bilingual doc file I exported to Word 2007 from SDL Trados Starter Edition is full of formatting tags for superscripts.

I need to clean up the Word doc to send to client.

I cannot show exactly how the tags look because the disappear when I paste them here, but I will attempt to describe it:

The superscripts for trade mark and registered mark are bracketed by the following:

< followed by "pt" followed by 2 or 3 digit numerals, followed by >

The search and replace feature in Word lets me get rid of the < pt 1 2 3 > part, but I don't know how to get rid of the numerals, since they're all different. I've tried the wildcard option without success.
I read somewhere that you need to record a macro for it to work.

If cleaning up the Word doc is not an option, maybe re-exporting the bilingual file with different settings may work, but the problem is that these tags do not appear in every instance where superscripts are present.

Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

[Edited at 2015-03-17 15:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-17 15:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-17 15:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-17 15:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-17 15:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-17 15:59 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
Finnish to French
Exact workflow? Mar 17, 2015

What is your exact workflow? In other words:

1. What file format did you translate?
2. What tool did you use for the translation?
3. What is the deliverable expected by your client?

My guess is that:

1 = Word document
2 = Wordfast Classic (based on the fact you recently asked about it in another forum)
3 = translated SDLXLIFF (based on the fact you appear to have subscribed to Trados Starter)

If so, it's not going to be easy.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dominique Mar 17, 2015

Hi Dominique,

I received from the client a Word document with the text, and a TMX file with the existing translation memory. I was going to do it in Wordfast, but the TM had over 2500 TUs so I could not do it with my trial version of Wordfast Classic. That's when I decided to purchase the licensed version. Since I did not receive the credentials on time, I went ahead and bought a SDL Trados Starter license.

I imported the TMX into Trados, and proceeded to translate the project.

The bilingual Word file exported form Trados is the one that's giving me trouble with those tags.

I also attempted to run the who thing through my newly purchased, licensed version of Wordfast, but the segmentation is different, and it is not allowing me to expand or split segments.
For example, there are thousands of items like this, where the only variable is the product code:

ABT475 - His/Hers

I tried to separate the product codes from the "His/Hers" part, which only needs to be translated once, but when I click the either the Expand or Split buttons nothing happens.

Anyway, the translation I need to deliver is already in Word, but the client does not accept it with the tags I mentioned before. This project was due today, and the client is asking me about it.

I am at my regular job now, and I don't have either Trados or Wordfast here. All I have is the Word file with the tags I need to clean up to send to client.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
Finnish to French
Trados -> Wordfast Mar 17, 2015

Trados (the new one, Studio) and Wordfast (the old one, Classic) aren't really designed to work together. The native bilingual format of Trados Studio is SDLXLIFF. You can't really process that with Wordfast Classic (OTOH, you could with Wordfast Anywhere or Wordfast Pro).

Your best bet would be to decide which tool to use (Wordfast Classic or Trados Studio Starter) and do the entire job in the same tool. If you decide to use Wordfast, start from scratch with the original source document, but use the TM you have created so far in Trados.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Dominique Mar 17, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Trados (the new one, Studio) and Wordfast (the old one, Classic) aren't really designed to work together. The native bilingual format of Trados Studio is SDLXLIFF. You can't really process that with Wordfast Classic (OTOH, you could with Wordfast Anywhere or Wordfast Pro).

Your best bet would be to decide which tool to use (Wordfast Classic or Trados Studio Starter) and do the entire job in the same tool. If you decide to use Wordfast, start from scratch with the original source document, but use the TM you have created so far in Trados.

Dominique,

I already did the whole project using Trados Studio Starter. It worked just fine except for those blasted superscript formatting tags that were exported to the bilingual Word document. Doing the whole thing all over in Wordfast is not an option. Wordfast does not give me the problem with the tags, but it joins those other segments that I mentioned before, the ones with the product codes, followed by HIS/HERS. That's even a worse problem than the Trados superscript tags, cause there are thousands of them.

What I really need to do is to get rid of the tags in Word.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found! Mar 17, 2015

I figured out how to clean the tags using the following method:
I deleted each individual element of the tags using the search and replace all feature in Word, and for the numerals using this: ^#

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to clean formatting tags exported to Word from Trados Studio Starter.

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search