Studio 2011 has decided it won't open - any help?
Thread poster: Georgie Scott

Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:24
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2015

I was in Studio this morning without any problems.

Just tried to open a project and Studio won't open at all. I can see a preview of it in the taskbar (I think that's what it's calledicon_smile.gif ) but Studio won't come up on the screen, ie. I have no access, whether I try to open the project package or whether I try to open Studio directly.

The only unusual thing I've done today was to open a TM directly from a folder and then close Studio afterwards.

Any help/ideas? This literally couldn't occur at a more inconvenient time....icon_frown.gif

France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Mar 19, 2015

I can see this various nonsense about Nalpeiron etc. on the web.

Anyway, despite having long been a champion of Trados, I have to say this has left me pretty unimpressed.

David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
Maybe Mar 19, 2015

it's a repeat performance of the issue mentioned by another hapless user in Trados 2009
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/262189-help_sdl_trados_studio_2009_wont_start.html

By the way, have you updated your Java settings by any chance? That sometimes has an influence on software

France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks similar Mar 19, 2015

David Hayes wrote:

it's a repeat performance of the issue mentioned by another hapless user in Trados 2009
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/262189-help_sdl_trados_studio_2009_wont_start.html

By the way, have you updated your Java settings by any chance? That sometimes has an influence on software

Thanks David,

I couldn'tt find them at first, but now can see this and a bunch of other similar topics on this problem.

I'm really not keen on reinstalling Trados. Would that not mean I lose all the information on it?

Anyways, I'm hopping mad which isn't helping and I'm really not great on tech. I even have to ask my mum for help with spotify.

I hadn't touched anything. I saw the little Java icon loitering earlier, but I'm pretty sure it's banned from installing updates as it's a massive nuisance.

France
Member (2009)
French to English
Never tried Mar 19, 2015

I have thus far not had to reinstall Trados. My guess is you would lose everything on it unless you first saved and reimported after reinstalling. But clicking on the repair program/restore factory settings shouldn't cause you to lose anything.

I would keep Java up-to-date if I were you. If not, you are more at risk of viruses.

You could also try restoring your entire system to where it was this morning.

It would be interesting to hear from people who have actually had this problem!

France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't restore Mar 19, 2015

David Hayes wrote:

I have thus far not had to reinstall Trados. My guess is you would lose everything on it unless you first saved and reimported after reinstalling. But clicking on the repair program/restore factory settings shouldn't cause you to lose anything.

I would keep Java up-to-date if I were you. If not, you are more at risk of viruses.

You could also try restoring your entire system to where it was this morning.

It would be interesting to hear from people who have actually had this problem!

Apparently I can't restore my computer to an earlier date and time; only to factory settings as updates aren't installed without my permission (or something along these lines according to what I'm told when I try to restore it. It's a fairly new computer so this is the first time I've treid to restore it and found this problem.).

France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved at last Mar 19, 2015

Utterly ridiculous. I knew my lack of tech skills would come into play.

After trying various solutions (reinstalling Java, restarting Nalpeiron Language services, downloading various recommended updates) and beginning to try to execute quite a complicated little backup, I saw this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/244000-studio_2011_wont_open.html

"Bring to front" didn't work, but maximise did (in the Task manager).

Dear lord, there are lead pipes and bricks all over my living room.

Thanks again David. Your friendly ear was extremely appreciated.

Hooray.

[Edited at 2015-03-19 16:21 GMT]

France
Member (2009)
French to English
Hummm Mar 19, 2015

Not sure I understand how your computer is configured. Nevertheless, you must be able to click on the control panel, select programs and then click on the Trados 2011 icon in the control panel. You could try simply clicking on 'repair'. Might work!

France
Member (2009)
French to English
Good Mar 19, 2015

Glad you solved it. I'll keep this solution for future reference. Although I hope I won't need to use it!

France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I couldn't find this option... Mar 19, 2015

David Hayes wrote:

Not sure I understand how your computer is configured. Nevertheless, you must be able to click on the control panel, select programs and then click on the Trados 2011 icon in the control panel. You could try simply clicking on 'repair'. Might work!

And I am not sure I understand how my computer is configured eithericon_smile.gif

In any case, the problem is now solved and with the simplest of solutions... and I feel like an idiot, as usualicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 has decided it won't open - any help?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search