Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 19, 2015

I have tried to "import an external review" but no edits were imported.
I followed these instructions: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl_trados_studio_2014/client_en/edit_view/UpdateExternallyReviewedFiles.htm

It appears that I may have the wrong frame of thought and overlooked the very first sentence in this instruction:
"If you sent your files for external review using the Export for External Review batch task, you can import the content of the bilingual review (...)"

In my case: my colleague has access to my latest version of the large sdlxliff that I am working on via dropbox, reviews a new batch of segments in Studio 2014 and emails me her sdlxliff with edits/tracked changes along with an "export for external review" of that edited file.

My guess is that that is why (for some reason) it doesn't work for me to import her external review into the sdlxliff and display the edits exactly as I was hoping it would, and it maybe would if I had sent her an export for external review? Can anyone explain why this doesn't work?

All in all, I still have not figured out what the fastest way is to collaborate on one single large file, or any file for that matter. I prefer for my colleague to work directly in the sldxliff (rather than a word doc for external review) because then she has access to the TM as well (which I think is useful), and simply because we would both be working in the same environment with access to the same tools. But apparently I cannot import her edits, not directly from the sdlxliff nor from her external review.

I don't think replacing my sdlxliff with hers is an option, because I may have updated previous segments that were already reviewed and I definitely will have to re-do all segments that I translated after that (albeit with the TM, but I have plenty of 99% segments that all need to be evaluated again - not due to having duplicate tm's running).

I don't think I have any of the issues that are mentioned in Paul's blog:
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

Am I just expecting too much? Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
can't make changes after exporting for external review Mar 19, 2015

You can't make changes in your Trados file once you send it for external review, nor can you rename or move it. If you continued to work on your translation in Trados after sending it for external review, you won't be able to update it when you get it back. You could, in the meantime, open it in Word and see the changes and manually put them (copy and paste) into your Trados file, if need be for what you're currently working on.

For simultaneously working on a large file, maybe you just need to divide it into several documents and include them all in your project. Then when you're all done, you can combine all the target documents into one final. Could you do that?

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Context Mar 19, 2015

MollyRose wrote:

You can't make changes in your Trados file once you send it for external review, nor can you rename or move it. If you continued to work on your translation in Trados after sending it for external review, you won't be able to update it when you get it back. You could, in the meantime, open it in Word and see the changes and manually put them (copy and paste) into your Trados file, if need be for what you're currently working on.

For simultaneously working on a large file, maybe you just need to divide it into several documents and include them all in your project. Then when you're all done, you can combine all the target documents into one final. Could you do that?

Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I am not sure that information (that you start with) is correct, or when it applies if it does. But I can go to the review tab, select "export for external review", create a review file and then continue working in the sdlxliff. I have done that several times already (and I wish Studio would skip untranslated segments in the process).

Renaming and moving of files is not a problem that I know of (but of course Studio uses default file names and locations, so you need to take that into account when substituting one file for another).

Manually going through the edits in the external review and applying them to my sdlxliff is what I am currently doing, but I am looking for a faster way to process edits. After all, there are these great shortcuts ctrl+F9 and alt+F9 to do that within the sdlxliff itself. Still, why does Trados not recognize the edited external review and import it just because it was created by someone else or because I did not first create an export for external review?

Breaking them up in smaller files would be an option, one that I will try next time if there are no other solutions. But it reduces flexibility - being able to work on a large file when you are ready, irrespective of how much someone has completed at that point.

PS1: my problem probably has something to do with not using the function "open for review" for sdlxliff, but I am not seeing clear instructions that I should do that.

PS2: I should have mentioned that initially, when I first tried this, Studio did import a handful of edited segments, about 6 or so, but it ignored all of the rest of them. That caused initial confusion. But on repeat trials, it's not doing anything, even though I seem to go through the right steps. I also changed the import setting from "marking the segments to untranslated" to "marking them as draft." This does not make any difference.

The last time I tried, I am noticing 578 warnings but no info on how to find out what they are.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z49yjj82c37k396/2015-03-19_175849.png?dl=0

[Edited at 2015-03-19 22:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import external review studio 2014

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search