Is Trados Studio 2011 compatible with Windows 8.1?
Thread poster: Sheena Cleland

Sheena Cleland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:54
French to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2015

Dear All,

I am considering upgrading my operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. I am wondering whether Trados Studio 2011 is compatible with Windows 8.1?

Does anyone have experience of using this combination, and does it work well?

Many thanks in advance,

Sheena Cleland
WordSmith

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Mar 21, 2015

2011 is compatible with Windows 8.1. Never had any problems.

Sid Ralph  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes... Mar 22, 2015

It is. No problem here using Trados 2011/2014 and Win 8.1.

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Why not wait until Windows 10? Mar 22, 2015

Sheena Cleland wrote:
I am considering upgrading my operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

Given that OS upgrades usually involve a fair degree of hassle, why not wait until Windows 10 comes out later this year? Or is there something specific about Windows 8.1 that you want access to?

Dan

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Better to go with Win 8.1 for now Mar 22, 2015

After all, with Win 8.1 Microsoft has had some time to get rid of bugs, holes etc. Even though they have tested out Win 10 since last autumn, there still will be some problems in the beginning, not least with programs etc. that need some time to get compatible (I don't think the major anti-virus programs support Win 10 quite yet.).

Also, my impression is that Win 10 isn't that big an improvement over Win 8.1, so I would rather go with Win 8.1 for now, and perhaps even skip Win 10 and go for Win 11 whenever it comes.

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Surely the one to skip was Windows 8 Mar 22, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Also, my impression is that Win 10 isn't that big an improvement over Win 8.1

My impression is that the consensus is the other way round. That is, that Win 8 was pointless for most PC users unless you needed very specific features and a downright disaster for many due to the sweeping changes to the desktop; that 8.1 at least is no longer a downgrade from Windows 7; that Windows 10 may be a worthwhile upgrade.

The "skip alternating versions of Windows" approach is a good one (I practise it myself) but the ones to skip have been Windows 98, Windows ME, Vista and 8.x. I have family members with Vista and 8 and I find both unpleasant to use, particularly Windows 8, unless you spend time trying to get it to mimic the classic Windows desktop. The ones to upgrade to have been Windows 95, Windows 2000, XP and Windows 7. And who knows, maybe 10.

We come back to the original poster: she's already on Windows 7, what does she need from Windows 8.x? If there's nothing specific then there's no urgency and she can postpone the pain and wait until Windows 10. That way she doesn't have to learn dubious Windows 8 features like charms that have already disappeared in Windows 10.

Not all initial launches of Windows are problematic, by the way. Windows 7 was a reliable and useable upgrade from XP right out of the box. Fingers crossed!

Dan

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
Agreed - skip Win 8.x Mar 22, 2015

I agree, if you already use Win 7, it is probably no reason to upgrade to 8.1. It would be better to go directly to Win 10. But I would wait until next year for that, I think, to be certain all problems with Win 10 are ironed out.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sticking with Windows 7 Mar 22, 2015

Thank you Robert,Sid and Dan, for your comments. I don't really want to upgrade from Windows 7 at all, only I need a new computer and all the new ones come with Windows 8.1 pre-loaded. I wanted to make sure I could still use Studio 2011 if I had to upgrade. After your insights, I think I'll go for a bare-bones computer and re-load my existing operating system! If it ain't broke ...

Sheena

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
What Windows version do you have? Mar 22, 2015

If it's an OEM version, you may break the lisence if you reinstall it on a new PC, as an OEM version would be linked to a specific PC and is not allowed to be transferred to another PC. Or are you thinking of purchasing a new lisence for Windows 7? I don't know if it's still for sale anywhere.

Of course, if you purchased Windows 7 separately from your computer, you would be allowed to reinstall it on a new PC, as you would then have paid much more than for an OEM version. In that case I know from personal experience that Microsoft is very helpful when you need to reactivate Windows.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:54
Finnish to French
You can still get Windows 7 pre-loaded Mar 23, 2015

Sheena Cleland wrote:
I need a new computer and all the new ones come with Windows 8.1 pre-loaded.

Incidentally, I ordered myself a ThinkPad X1 Carbon at shop.lenovo.com (they had a "Spring sales" campaign with 10% off until today) and these are the options I had for the operating system:

2015-03-23_1535.png

Guess which one I chose...

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Downgrade rights Mar 23, 2015

Looks like you chose the same as me Dominique!icon_smile.gif

That has resolved the issue. Thanks again, guys, for all your comments and suggestions.

Sheena

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
If that isn't working.... Mar 24, 2015

.... download Classic Shell, and your 8.1 works like a 7, complete with Start button.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados Studio 2011 compatible with Windows 8.1?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search