TM analysis file for a project translated with Excel (2 columns)
Thread poster: Luiza Kipper

Luiza Kipper  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2015

I worked on a project with Excel. There was the source column and I wrote the translations on the target column right next to it.

Now my client is asking for the TM analysis file for this project.

Can anybody tell me how I can get this? I have Trados 2011.

Thanks in advance!icon_smile.gif

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So I... Mar 23, 2015

I Generated two separate Excel files. One containing the full source text column and the other the target text column.

So I created a new project in Trados and loaded the above mentioned Excel source text file.

But now I need to find a way to load the Excel target text into the target column in Trados. Copying and pasting allocated the full text in only one line instead of distributing the lines according to the Excel lines distribution.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:59
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Comma delimited file Mar 23, 2015

This is a strange request if you didn't use Studio to do the translation. However...

Save your bilingual file in Excel as a comma delimited file (.csv). You may lose the formatting, but if you've already done the translation, this shouldn't matter.

Before you open this file in Studio, go to file types, .csv and make sure the source and target are in the right columns.
Open the file in the Editor window.

Do the analysis before you confirm all the segments and update your TM.

Run an analysis following the steps given towards the end of this blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/03/06/fuzzy-matches/

[Edited at 2015-03-23 13:06 GMT]

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Mar 23, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

This is a strange request if you didn't use Studio to do the translation. However...

Save your bilingual file in Excel as a comma delimited file (.csv). You may lose the formatting, but if you've already done the translation, this shouldn't matter.

Before you open this file in Studio, go to file types, .csv and make sure the source and target are in the right columns.
Open the file in the Editor window.

Do the analysis before you confirm all the segments and update your TM.

Run an analysis following the steps given towards the end of this blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/03/06/fuzzy-matches/

[Edited at 2015-03-23 13:06 GMT]

I don't know if this is because of my newness to this, but my project manager did not ask for me to use Trados, so I did everything on the Excel file they provided. The file was ready with the named columns, instructions and all.

So I followed your instructions, but the formatting is all off :/ The text was cut by 1/3 of the original. While the analysis shows only 3,500 words, in reality there was a total of 11,414 words translated!

Screenshot of formatting issues: http://i58.tinypic.com/2hzv4l.jpg

You can see that the target column doesn't correctly correspond to the source column.

Note: these were subtitle files and the tildes (~) served the purpose of breaking each segment into two lines. I made the test of removing tildes in a few lines and loading again in Trados but this didn't make any difference.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Analysis or TM? Mar 23, 2015

Hmm, yes, the .csv workaround doesn't seem to work for your file.

Re-reading your first post, I think I misunderstood. If your project manager wants a TM (translation memory), and not an analysis (of fuzzy matches, etc.), then simply align the two files you created with source in one and target in another.

After aligning the files, create a TM or TMX and send it to your project manager.

You can align files in the Studio "Align docs" tab in the welcome view, or use a separate tool, such as Farkas Andras' TM aligner: http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know this for a fact Mar 23, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Hmm, yes, the .csv workaround doesn't seem to work for your file.

Re-reading your first post, I think I misunderstood. If your project manager wants a TM (translation memory), and not an analysis (of fuzzy matches, etc.), then simply align the two files you created with source in one and target in another.

After aligning the files, create a TM or TMX and send it to your project manager.

You can align files in the Studio "Align docs" tab in the welcome view, or use a separate tool, such as Farkas Andras' TM aligner: http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

By "TM analysis" he means the actual Analysis Report with fuzzy matches and etc. I know this because he sent me a sample. So you understood me correctly at first!

Thank you for your kind replies.icon_smile.gif

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Waste of time aligning I think... Mar 23, 2015

Luiza Kipper wrote:

By "TM analysis" he means the actual Analysis Report with fuzzy matches and etc. I know this because he sent me a sample. So you understood me correctly at first!

... because an analysis like this will be 100% all the way through the document. If you normally use a Translation Tool for your work then the process would be to analyse the original file (source only) against your Translation Memory.

Or have I missed something?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM analysis file for a project translated with Excel (2 columns)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search