How to confirm all segments in file
Thread poster: Chris S

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2015

I'm translating some accounts and I refuse to ctrl-return every single number in the file - is there a way round this?

In Studio 2014

Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:20
Member (2016)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
There is a way Mar 26, 2015

Do I understand correctly that you have a lot of number only segments that you don't want to confirm individually? If this is the case then it is easy: use the built-in filter to display Number Only segments, propagate the translations or select all segments and apply "Copy Source to Target", then make sure all segments are selected and change segment status to Translated in one go.

Regards,
Darius

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
More simply Mar 26, 2015

My experience of number only segments is that I translate one segment (replace a comma with a decimal point, for example), confirm it, and then Trados asks me if I want to apply that to all segments, but respecting the individual numbers, obviously. I click on apply to all and all the other segments are autopropagated as 100% matches even though the actual numbers are different.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 26, 2015

Darius Sciuka wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you have a lot of number only segments that you don't want to confirm individually? If this is the case then it is easy: use the built-in filter to display Number Only segments, propagate the translations or select all segments and apply "Copy Source to Target", then make sure all segments are selected and change segment status to Translated in one go.

Regards,
Darius

Thanks, I will try that next time. I eventually had to just hold down ctrl-return for 10 minutes while reading something else!!!!!

But even with 100% confirmed segments I still couldn't generate a return package and had to send the files individually.

How I hate Studio!

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah Mar 26, 2015

Denise Phelps wrote:

My experience of number only segments is that I translate one segment (replace a comma with a decimal point, for example), confirm it, and then Trados asks me if I want to apply that to all segments, but respecting the individual numbers, obviously. I click on apply to all and all the other segments are autopropagated as 100% matches even though the actual numbers are different.

I thought you had to "confirm" translated segments before they go into the memory. But every time I confirmed one line of the accounts I then had to confirm five different number segments for the file to show up as 100% translated.

Does it not matter if you send back a 40% translated file?

(I am a new and reluctant user of Studio...)

Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Select all, change segment status Mar 26, 2015

You can also (and I'm sure there is an even faster way of doing this) click on the segment number box on the left, scroll to the bottom and hold shift and click on the last segment number box, then right-click and change segment status to translated.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Or use... Mar 26, 2015

... the SDLXLIFF Toolkit to handle the numbers across the entire project in one go, all converted and confirmed correctly.

But whatever you do, you can create ba return package at any time. Doesn't matter how much of the project you have done.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Automatic confirmation enabled? Mar 26, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I eventually had to just hold down ctrl-return for 10 minutes

But that seems to suggest that your number segments were pre-translated or auto-propagated just fine, just unconfirmed. Maybe you have disabled the options to automatically confirm exact matches from the TM or auto-propagation? Or am I missing something?

That said, I don't always agree with how Studio handles numbers, but I don't hate it. I admit to the occasional affair with other CAT tools though icon_wink.gif

Stephan

Spanish to English
+ ...
Re: Ah Mar 26, 2015

I'm no Studio expert by any means and probably use less than half its potential, but I know that when I want to apply a number segment translation to all other number segments, these are not only autopropagated as 100% matches, but they're automatically "confirmed" as well. I'm working on an academic text at the moment with tables full of means and standard deviations, and all the figures were autopropagated and confirmed after I confirmed the first one. They also show up as translated in the statistics.

But we may be talking at cross purposes. I can't really picture your text, so you may actually be talking about something much more complex than the simple number segments I'm talking about. Also, I know nothing about return packages, because none of my clients ever ask for them; they simply want the final document.

I found the online courses on Studio run through Proz to be immensely helpful, as are the user manuals that came as part of the package.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 27, 2015

I will clearly have to spend some more time with the manual.

The job came with the numbers already converted.

I tried selecting all the segments and that didn't work.

The "create return package" icon was greyed out and didn't work whether the segments were confirmed or not.

I'm wondering now what the point of confirming segments is, apart from to stop it showing "job half done" when it's actually finished.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Return package only when you receive a package from the agency Mar 27, 2015

My guess would be that the agency did not send you a full translation package, but only the sdlxliff files to work in. In those instances you cannot create a return package.

I was confused by this in the future myself also.

What you need to do, is just to send the sdlxliff files back (you probably should zip them first, of course.

And you won't always experience that all segments are confirmed when you are finished. One reason could be that some non confirmed segments are locked, or the files are converted to the review stage, in which instance the amount that is approved in the review stage is shown, not the amount that is translated and approved.

This should not create any trouble for the agency, though usually it looks better if all is indicated as translated, of course.

Add a note to the project manager, and I would think everything should be fine.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Roy Mar 27, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

My guess would be that the agency did not send you a full translation package, but only the sdlxliff files to work in. In those instances you cannot create a return package.

Actually they did send a package. So it's a bit of a mystery, but in the end I just sent the files manually and all was well!

Spanish to English
+ ...
Free Trados webinars Mar 27, 2015

There are a couple of free webinars on Trados next week that you might find useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to confirm all segments in file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search