Regular Expressions
Thread poster: Val1

Val1
Croatia
Mar 31, 2015

Hey guys,

if I want to QA check some abbreviations, for example that for "DE" (for Germany) there is also "DE" in the translation, how would you do that?

I have so far:

Source: \bDE\b
Target: \bDE\b
Condition: Report if source matches but not target
Ignore case unticked.

But I presume this will be problematic? For example, it will report an error if there e.g. "DECIDE" in original, and there is no "DE" letter combination in the translation? How do I have it check "DE" only if it is a word in itself? That can be followed/preceeded by interpunction/spaces or stand on its own, but not by letters or numbers for instance.

Thanks a lot!

FarkasAndras
Local time: 14:19
English to Hungarian
+ ...
\b Mar 31, 2015

You have already done that with the \b. That stands for "word boundary". \bDE\b will match " DE." or "-DE-" but it will not match DECISION. It will probably not match "2DE3" either, but you can probably live with that.

Val1
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Regex Mar 31, 2015

Nice! Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Regular Expressions

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search