Anna Davies  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:46
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2015

Dear translators,

I was very disappointed concerning one year licence for TRADOS STUDIO 2014. I paid for this 121€ (I didn't have enough to buy the full package), which is not nothing and the version is really useless. Do not buy this version. You can actually do nothing with it, it has the same function like word, the only thing is that in word it is for free (you pay just for a licence), and for trados I paid 121€ year.

It was just to tell you that their offer is not honest. They did not say at any point that automatic translation is excluded, no downloads or updates either. I can understand that the version is limited (only 50000 words), but they do not say that all functions are limited.
You can just use it to open and close a file, and pay just for this 121€, I am sorry, it is abused.

You can use instead Across, which is free, and more helpful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
It says 1 year starter version Apr 2, 2015

If you had checked out what is included with the starter version, you would have seen it is rather limited compared to the pro version. Any serious translator would want to choose the pro version, which will cost you $ 2895.00. This is some 20 times higher than 1 year for the starter version, of course.

But I agree, stay away from the starter version - it's useless for the serious translator.

Incidentally, from time to time you will discover that it is possible to purchase the Pro version for a very reduced price if you do it when ProZ has the offer of a group purchase.

[Edited at 2015-04-02 15:43 GMT]

Sorry - you want the SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance version, which cost $ 825.00

[Edited at 2015-04-02 15:45 GMT]

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 22:46
English to Chinese
There is a group buy going on Apr 2, 2015

that offers the Freelance version at a good price:)

http://www.proz.com/tgb/953

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Sorry - you want the SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance version, which cost $ 825.00

[Edited at 2015-04-02 15:45 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
The other side of the coin Apr 2, 2015

I also wondered whether Studio Starter was a worthwhile investment for someone who is new to CAT tools, so I asked Allison Wright to write a guest post on my blog a couple of years ago with her opinion, which differs considerably from yours:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/01/31/studio-starter/

Anna Davies wrote:
You can actually do nothing with it, it has the same function like word, the only thing is that in word it is for free (you pay just for a licence), and for trados I paid 121€ year.

I don't agree that it has the same function as Word. Studio isn't a word processor.
And, as you say, in a roundabout way, Word isn't free either.

It was just to tell you that their offer is not honest. They did not say at any point that automatic translation is excluded,

SDL specifies that automatic translation is excluded in its product comparison:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/starter/index-tab2.html#tabs

[/quote]

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
Which confirms what I said Apr 3, 2015

Chunyi Chen wrote:

that offers the Freelance version at a good price:)

This was just my point: ProZ has good group buys on most CAT tools from time to time.

Anna Davies wrote:

It was just to tell you that their offer is not honest. They did not say at any point that automatic translation is excluded, no downloads or updates either. I can understand that the version is limited (only 50000 words), but they do not say that all functions are limited. You can just use it to open and close a file, and pay just for this 121€, I am sorry, it is abused.

It looks to me that you are unfair in your criticism. When there are different versions of a software, I would always check what the differences are to make sure that the one I choose, actually overs my needs. For Studio you find a comparison here:
http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/editions.html

[Edited at 2015-04-03 09:26 GMT]

Anna Davies  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One year licence waste of money Apr 21, 2015

Are you working for Trados or they paid you for that?

It is not written that updates are not included, it weren't written that you can not create your translation memory.
The only one information was that it has limited number of words that's why it is less expensive (what is fair enough), but at any point it is not written that automatic translation is excluded.

So I paid for something 121€ what I can only open and that's all.
Si yes, I am not happy, and yes, I made wrong decision, I should buy full version.
Investment of 121€ was the waste of money.

Concerning word, you buy a licence once, and here you pay per year, so in many ways it is less expensive and faster to work in word.

Of course you are free to think what you want.

[Edited at 2015-04-21 18:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-21 18:30 GMT]

eivind
Local time: 13:46
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Starter Apr 22, 2015

I got the Starter edition at some point last year when they were actually just giving out free licenses. At the time I found it was worth just about what I paid for it.

On the surface the Starter edition would appear to be similar to Adobe Creative Cloud: a time-limited subscription-based license that is cheaper than buying the software with a perpetual license. However, the limitations of Studio Starter can be quite stifling.

Freelance is ok, though, and not prohibitively expensive through a TGB.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:46
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
One year licence waste of money Apr 22, 2015

Hi Anna,

This is Steve from SDL.
I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns in relation to the Studio 2014 Starter version.

The difference between the Starter/Freelance and Professional versions are described clearly in the FAQ's and comparison table-

http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/

The 'Starter' version of course does have certain restrictions when compared to either Freelance or Professional perpetual license versions.
The Starter will allow you to work with practically all file formats in single file translation and you can create multiple TM's (subject matter?)- Each TM is limited to ca. 5000 TU's (ca.50,000 words) and only one TM can be used with any given project.
Often translators who use the 'Starter' version will receive 'SDLPPX packages that will contain without restrictions all that is needed to complete a given project- i.e. Files/TM's/TB's Autosuggest dictionaries etc.
Once the translation is completed, you simply return the PPX package to the client.

Freelance version provide the following extra added functionality-
You can create unlimited TM's and use multiple TM's in a given project
MultiTerm Desktop- for terminology
Autosuggest
Access to the Open Exchange http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/
Download apps to further extend the functionality of Studio
Ability to connect to Google translate or SDL Be Global AT
Project Wizard and much more.

ALL versions of Studio (Starter/Freelance and Professional) receive FREE of charge all updates during validity. This means, should we release a service pack (SP) or cumulative update (CU) etc. all holders of a valid license (including Starter) will receive these free of charge.
Of course if you have a 1 years license that was say due to expire in December 2015 and SDL launch Studio 2015 today- you would receive for the remainder of the license validity the newly released version.

SDL also provide a 'live chat' facility- sdl.com/chat
which is staffed Mon-Fri 9-5 GMT/BST and where you can contact us with any questions that you may have.
If you would like to upgrade to Freelance (cost of Starter is taken into account of course), or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in contact directly.

Kr
Steve

Norway
Member (2010)
+ ...
I just don't like to see what I feel are unjust complaints Apr 22, 2015

Anna Davies wrote:
Are you working for Trados or they paid you for that?

First, I am only a user of Studio 2014, otherwise not affiliated to SDL in other ways. In actual fact, Dejavu is my favourite CAT tool, not Studio, but I regularly use Studio also as I receive quite a few jobs with Studio packages.

But I never like to see what at least seems to me to be unfair criticism. For me it is subordinate if it's company that I like or not. I still feel the criticism should be fair. And the comparison chart does show quite clearly that the Starter edition is very limited compared to the Freelance version.

So I will agree with you, don't by the Starter edition, buy the Freelance version instead. I would look out for a group buy on the ProZ website and buy a version to a reduced price. Well worth the investment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limited version Trados Studio 2014 - one year licence

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search