Windows with too small characters
Thread poster: Anne LJ

Anne LJ
Local time: 06:17
Spanish to French
+ ...
Apr 4, 2015

Hello,

I have installed Trados 2014 and Multiterm in my new laptop, its works all ok except that the characters in some windows like list of projects and files in Studio and terms (on the left side in Multiterm) are too small. I have made all possible adjustments, it doesn't work.

The new laptop: Windows 8.1, 64 bits, 16 Mb, and a lot of amazing things.... I'm afraid it has with the 64 bits to do, how can we solve this?

Many thanks in advance

Anne

[Modifié le 2015-04-04 08:56 GMT]

[Modifié le 2015-04-04 08:57 GMT]

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Desktop Apr 4, 2015

Right-click on desktop > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller

[Edited at 2015-04-04 09:07 GMT]

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same problem Apr 4, 2015

Many thanks Lincoln for your reply. It has unfortunately not worked. For example in Multiterm the characters of the right window can be so huge as we want, but the left one (terms) displays as before the same lilliputian characters. On an other side, the Multiterm-function (display %) acts only on the right window too.

The only programms with this problem are Studio and Multiterm.

Kind regards

Anne

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:17
Finnish to French
Physical size of display + resolution? Apr 4, 2015

Anne LJ wrote:
I have installed Trados 2014 and Multiterm in my new laptop, its works all ok except that the characters in some windows like list of projects and files in Studio and terms (on the left side in Multiterm) are too small.

Just curious: what is the physical size of your new laptop's display, and its resolution?

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screen Apr 4, 2015

Merci Dominique.

Touch screen
3840x2160
15,6"

I have tried all possibilities I could discover! The problem occurs with dictionnaries/correctors Antidote, Cordial, Studio 2014 and Multiterm.

Many thanks in advance

Anne

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
4K displays Apr 4, 2015

Anne LJ wrote:
Touch screen
3840x2160
15,6"

Now, that's a lot of pixels, even more than on the 15" MacBook Pro "Retina" (2880x1800).

I believe many current applications like Studio etc. just aren't "prepared" to handle these very high resolutions yet.

I have a new laptop on its way that has a 14.0" 2560x1440 display, so I may be facing similar problems. I'll know more one week from now.

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I understand better Apr 4, 2015

Indeed it will be interesting to know about your experience. If you want know more about my lap top:

it's the Toshiba PT50t-B-118
16 MB

I must often work with Across, Studio, Multiterm at the same time, and naturally all the other tools that a translator needs. It's the reason why I have looked for a strong machine! It's was absolutely chaotic before. I hope we find a solution....

Hope to read you soon!

Kind regards

Anne

Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 2014 QHD display support Apr 4, 2015

With 3000 × 1800 px huddling on a 15" laptop screen, I am facing the same problem. Better support for QHD displays in SDL Trados Studio 2014 would be appreciated... Or is it already in the pipeline in upcoming updates?

[Edited at 2015-04-04 17:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-04 17:48 GMT]

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know... Apr 5, 2015

Thank you Babylondon for your comments. It's very helpful indeed to understand the source of the problem although it is not yet possible to solve it....

Now we must wait and see, hopefully not a too long time! If you discover an improvement meanwhile, please let me know. The experience of Dominique may be interesting too....

Have a nice day

Anne

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Can-t you adjust screen resolution? Apr 5, 2015

So many pixels on such a small screen is by now way effective from the point of readability. I would try more conservative screen resolutions like about 1800x1200 or what Windows would support on your screen. My 17" laptop has only 900 pixels vertical, and I use 125% zoom for the desktop.

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh...solved! Apr 5, 2015

Thank you very much Heinrich, this was the solution, I have choosed 1920x1080, it's ok, I can test now more resolutions in order to find the best one. I was so happy to have a huge capacity in terms of ram, disk etc. but I didn't expect the problems with the resolution! Wieder was gelernt!!

Have a nice day

Anne

JW Narins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
Member (2015)
Russian to English
+ ...
That's not the answer - THIS is the answer! May 7, 2017

Anne LJ wrote:

Thank you very much Heinrich, this was the solution, I have choosed 1920x1080, it's ok, I can test now more resolutions in order to find the best one. I was so happy to have a huge capacity in terms of ram, disk etc. but I didn't expect the problems with the resolution! Wieder was gelernt!!

Have a nice day

Anne

No, actually that's not the solution.
The solution should never be "to use our program, just turn off the setting that gives you the advantage of the machine you paid all that money for!"

THIS is the solution - an incredibly clever post.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-fix-apps-that-look-small-on-high-dpi-and-high-resolution-displays/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows with too small characters

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search