Trados 2011: Getting rid of tags of an ALREADY translated file
Thread poster: Ignacio Piedra

Ignacio Piedra
Argentina
Apr 6, 2015

Hello to everyone.
This is my first message in this forum. It's my first time using SDL Trados 2011 and I'm having a terrible time.
There is a work I have to hand in tomorrow, and I have already finished translating, but there seems to be hundreds of errors related to tags, and every time I try to export the file I get a message saying that "An error occured while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: Possible field(s) deletion".
I have read that you can clean the tags from the source file, but I can't start all over. What should I do in this case?

Please help T_T

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 05:28
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Tags in source the problem? Apr 6, 2015

Are you sure it's the tags in source that are the problem? Sounds strange. Usually it's when there are differences between the tags in source and target that you get the problem.

Have you tried running Verify? In 2014 you would Open thee Review tab, and click the Verify button on the ribbon.

If the problem actually is the tags in source, I would try to run CodeZapper (search for CodeZapper with Google) and reimport the document. Removing tags from a source document that is already imported doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all. How would you be able to decide which tags would be necessary for export and which not? Better to clean up the document and run a pretranslate on it with the translation you have already done.

You would want to export your document to a virgin TM first, though, and then run the pretranslate with this new TM, I would think.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
Finnish to French
Alternative to CodeZapper Apr 6, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
If the problem actually is the tags in source, I would try to run CodeZapper (search for CodeZapper with Google) and reimport the document.

An alternative to CodeZapper is Stanislav Okhvat's Translator Tools. Unlike CodeZapper, it can be downloaded for free and the relevant function (Document Cleaner) is included in the free version (there is a paid version with additional features you can upgrade to).

I made a short video on getting rid of unneeded tags with Translator Tools.

A new feature of the latest version ("Correctomatic") has been mentioned in this other thread.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:28
French to German
+ ...
Copy all 'field' tags from source to target Apr 6, 2015

Ignacio Piedra wrote:

... I get a message saying that "An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: Possible field(s) deletion".

Ignacio

If you get the above message, it means that you have segments containing a 'field' tag, where this tag has not been transferred to the target segment.

The tag 'field' is one of the few tags that must always be transferred from source to target, otherwise you will never be able to save your target document (which is what happened now).

The solution is to locate all the source segments containing a 'field' tag and make sure that the tag is also present in the corresponding target segment. Unfortunately, this error message does not tell you the segment numbers where this occurs, One way to find them is to look for hyperlinks (web addresses or URL) because those always contain such a tag.

Once you think that you have replaced them all, run a Verify (F8) to check if you still get an error before you try to save as target.

Walter

Ignacio Piedra
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 9, 2015

Thank you all for your replies. I could solve it by means of the first poster!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011: Getting rid of tags of an ALREADY translated file

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search