Converting translated file into TM
Thread poster: ziyad mahdy
ziyad mahdy
Local time: 11:13
English to Hebrew
Apr 6, 2015

Hi

I've translated a big project with Excel 2013, from English into Arabic in separate columns/rows. Now I'm starting to use Trados 2011 and I want to upload this project as a TM for further use. A friend told me I have to insert segment by segment, as if it's a new project in Trados, but this is gonna take long time. Anybody can help please?

Another question please, is there a Free source for TMs? Where I can upload mine or download others.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
May be easiest to import it into a Multiterm file Apr 6, 2015

I believe it is possible to import an Excel file as a translation memory, but it seems Multiterm makes it easier. I don't have Studio 2011, but 2014 has a Multiterm Convert application, which makes it possible to import Excel into an existing MT. It then may be you can export the MT as an xmt file that can be imported into a translation memory.

And by the way, most of the time you would have to create your own TMs, at least if it's not the major language combinations like between English and German or French.

[Edited at 2015-04-06 16:20 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Multiterm may not... Apr 6, 2015

... really be the way to go. You have a few ways to tackle this. The easiest by far is to use the Glossary Converter from the OpenExchange as this is a simple drag and drop of the Excel file and convert directly to TMX.

Another way is to save two files. Hide the English in one and hide the arabic in the other, then align the files. You have Studio 2011 so have WinAlign installed with Studio which will do the job easily enough.

One other is to save the file as a tab delimited or a csv, and then open this in Studio. This can be set up to recognise the source as one column and the target as the other. Then add a TM and update the entire file into the TM in one go; or alternatively import the SDLXLIFF into your TM.

But my money would be on the Glossary Converter... very simple method to create a TMX from your spreadsheet.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

ziyad mahdy
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, it helps Apr 7, 2015

Thank you So Much, this really helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting translated file into TM

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search