Import from External Review: some track changes didn't import into .xliff
Thread poster: Tech_Trans

Tech_Trans
United Kingdom
Apr 9, 2015

My client has just informed me that the .idml file I delivered does not contain all of the client reviewer’s changes further to the translation we carried out being client-reviewed prior to delivery.

When I looked into the examples provided, I found my client to be correct. In two places, the track changes in the reviewed 2-column, bilingual Word file I received from my client did not import into the translated .xliff file when I used the 'Import from External Review' function in Trados Studio 2014. I did not receive an error message when using this function and upon spot-checking the updated .xliff file, the track changes had imported (although I didn't check each one individually).

I noticed that on both accounts the track changes that failed to import into the .xliff were in Italics. In the first occurrence, the text marked up for deletion is surrounded by pink encoding tags (to signify italics), which were not marked up for deletion. Could this be the issue? In the second occurrence, the reviewer had changed part of the segment to italics (despite there being no italics in the source text segment) and marked up some text for deletion and some text for insertion in the italicised section, which didn't import into the .xliff.

I’m not sure of this could have any significance or not, but I have never come across this before and am keen to get to the bottom of this issue, so I can re-assure my client.

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:05
French to German
+ ...
External review must respect some rules Apr 12, 2015

Hi

From our description, I can't tell you exactly what went wrong but I can give you some hints to what you could check.

There are a few basic rules which need to be respected in order for the "External Review" function to work correctly:
(1) The pink markers in the bilingual WORD document must not be modified at all. Check what happened exactly to the ones you mentioned (about the italic text).
(2) The SDLXLIFF document you generated the review copy from may not be modified at all until you reimport the revised external review document
(3) "Update from external review" only reimports segments where the target part was already populated when you generated the review document. If the target segment was empty when you created the review document and the reviewer then types text into this segment, it will not be imported back into your SDLXLIFF.
(4) The WORD format (.DOC vs .DOCX) must match.

Walter

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import from External Review: some track changes didn't import into .xliff

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search