The 'problem' of SDL Studio 2014 and Windows 8.1 revisited
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 9, 2015

Not for the sake of a discussion, but because I am curious about what I have read in all the different forums about SDL (2014) and Windows 8.1.

My experiences.

SDL 2014 = Although not perfect (only God is, and I am not even religious), for me by far the best CAT tool I know. MemoQ comes close, and the rest are just simplified copy's of the original master. So, why all the criticism about this translation tool?

Windows 8.1 = In essence the same as Windows 7, only with more 'bells and rings'. So why the negative comments about this OS? It works like a charme, exactly as the 'blessed' Windows 7. Yes I know about the tiles and all, but just install the free app 'Shell', and it looks and works (almost) the same as 7.

So, what is all the fuss about?

[Edited at 2015-04-09 22:42 GMT]

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
just my 3 devalued euro cents Apr 10, 2015

Studio
SDL Studio is a bloated monster and one of my least favourite CAT tools. It's massive, slow, and unnecessarily labyrinthine. Translating in CafeTran, for example, is a much more pleasurable experience. Far from a "simplified copy of the original master", CafeTran is a completely different animal. Studio was designed for project managers. CT is designed for me. Instead of being ignored by Support Bot #757756, I send an email to Igor and my feature request is implemented virtually overnight. How's that for service with a smile? Trados may have been great many moons ago, (and memoQ, and Wordfast, etc.) – but size killed & kills all of them in the end.

I tried to like Windows 8/8.1, I really did, but I kept having permissions-related problems, or what I think were permissions-related problems. In any case, after fighting with it for a while, I finally gave up and went back to 7 64-bit, where I will happily remain until I am convinced that 10 can be trusted. I have so many amazing little programs, all configure exactly the way I want them, that 10 will have to be pretty darned amazing for me to want to switch. Of course, Microsoft does seem to have designed a pretty clever upgrade thingee (which apparently leaves all your apps in place), so I might just make a backup (or two) of my C drive with Macrium Reflect, and then click the "Upgrade" button. If something goes wrong, I can always just go back to Win7 using Macrium.

[Edited at 2015-04-10 13:18 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I'll skip 8 too Apr 10, 2015

I'm working on a almost 5 years old laptop with Win7, with 500 Gb SSD and no hard disc. I will not buy a new machine until they start to sell them without hard disc to a reasonable price. So by then it will be win10 (what happend to 9?).
I'm fully satisfied with Studio 2014, it is much faster than WFP, which I use for Excel files. I have a license for Cafetran and also for DV, but never got around to try them out on a real job. No customer ever suggested to work on anything else than SDL or Wordfast products, even the fans of Transit seem to have died out.
New software is usually easy to use and fast, but wait till they have had time to add all the functions Studio has, and it will be another game. I really do not believe there is a market for many different software products for translation, because each developer team needs a certain user base to sustain financing.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
With you, Robert Apr 10, 2015

My feelings about both are the same as yours, Robert. I couldn't possibly use Windows 8 without Classic Shell, but now it works fine. And I love Trados Studio.

However, I have noticed that both work best for the kind of people who, in their respective households, *answer* the computer questions. If you're the kind of person who constantly has computer problems that you can't fix yourself then you tend not to get on very well with either! But that probably applies to other software too...

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did users upgrade to 8 or did they buy a new PC Apr 10, 2015

I believe the best test to see if people like an OS is to see if they upgrade automatically or change because they are forced to when they buy a new PC.

I don't know anyone that has willing changed to 8, in fact I know some people who bought new PCs with 8 and downgraded them to 7.

This is just people I know so it's not a scientific sample, but I get the impression a lot of people feel the same way.

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
More or less agree Apr 10, 2015

I upgraded to win 8 for about 25 euros when it was released (and later 8.1 for free) and have never had a problem with it (certainly much faster than any predecessor). I have both Studio and MemoQ: MemoQ does some things better but Studio has a couple of advantages that make it win the day for me in the end (but this has only been the case since the arrival of Studio 2014). Cafetran sounds neat but I don't want to be dependent on software that is maintained by a single developer (which I understand is the case). I mean what happens if something happens to him?

Olly

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Straying from the topic is not allowed Apr 12, 2015

Dear all,

The thread is about SDL Studio 2014 and Windows 8.1, and not about CafeTran. CafeTran users have a specific forum, http://www.proz.com/forum/1154 where all issues specific to this software can be discussed.

Thank you for observing forum rules

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear everybody Apr 14, 2015

As you have noticed, 7 threads have been deleted. I do agree that they had nothing to do my topic, but a discussion has its own dimensions, just look at the longer forums at Proz, in many/most cases, at the end they got nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing to do with the original question.

I believe in freedom of speech and therefore resent any form of censorship, rules or no rules! Just look at what is happening in the world right now, and just see where it can lead too (Erratum - the latest of course doesn't apply for this thread, but censorship nevertheless). So, because of this reason I decided not to take part in my own forum, but I do want to thank Michael, Heinrich, JaneD, Alex and Olly for their valued input.

Kind regards.

Rob

[Edited at 2015-04-14 21:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-14 21:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-14 21:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-14 21:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-14 21:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 'problem' of SDL Studio 2014 and Windows 8.1 revisited

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search