Document Align in SDL 2014 error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2015

Hello,
trying to align two documents converted from PDF to Word in SDL 2014 SP1.
I keep getting the error above and it is driving me insane as I have tried everything on the documents,
from inspecting them for hidden tags, comments.... to converting them to rtf, to removing all images.

I have also restarted SDL but to no avail.
What can be done?

Thanks a lot,

Vincent

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Am following this thread Apr 10, 2015

http://www.proz.com/post/2416786#2416786

but useless. Nothing works

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
I agree with you, Vincent Apr 11, 2015

Hello

I had the same error message while translating a very big Excel file with Studio 2014 SP1.

According to SDL knowledge base, I tried both methods:

method 1: didn't work (the files didn't exist)

method 2: I uninstalled Studio 2014 and could not reinstall it.

I was in a very big trouble because of Studio 2014.

This happened to me twice before with previous Studio versions.

Result: unable to fini
... See more
Hello

I had the same error message while translating a very big Excel file with Studio 2014 SP1.

Result: unable to finish the contract. i.e.: not paid, loose clients, bad reputation, but it is a SDL problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if I had a SDL Support contract, its response time is beyond my deadline.

I don't understand why SDL doesn't fix that for good.

This time (Studio 2014) I was a bit more prudent and I saved very often the sdlXLIFF and the TM (in TMX format) before the problem occured.

After the problem occured and SDL Studio was uninstalled and unable to install again,
I started MemoQ and restored the freshest data (XLIFF and TM), this way I could go ahead working on this project and finally get paid.

A simpler processing method in my case: work with MemoQ since the beginning of the translation.

[Edited at 2015-04-11 11:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-11 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
I agree with you, Vincent Apr 11, 2015

Hello

Result: unable to finis
... See more
Hello

Result: unable to finish the contract. i.e.: not paid, loose clients, bad reputation, but it is a SDL problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time (Studio 2014) I was a bit more prudent and I saved very often the sdlXLIFF and the TM (in TMX format) before the problem occured.

After the problem occured and SDL Studio was uninstalled and unable to install again,
I started MemoQ and restored the freshest data (XLIFF and TM), this way I could go ahead working on this project and finally get paid.

A simpler processing method in my case: work with MemoQ since the beginning of the translation.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It may not be as easy as you expect Apr 12, 2015

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:
Hello

Madeleine

This is simply not possible as these files do exist if you have installed Studio. Most probably you did not see them because they are in a folder that is hidden by default in Windows, which means you first need to change the folder options to make this folder "appdata" visible. This is described in KB article 3330.

It is easier to say this than to solve the problem because the error message you are referring to is a "generic" error message, meaning that it does not give any indication as to what caused this error (it could be a dozen different things) and because there is no "general" problem translating Excel files or aligning PDF documents. Thousands of users worldwide translate Word and Excel documents without experiencing such a situation, and a few users like you do face troubles. This can happen with every software and means that the cause of your problem may be something specific to your configuration, which needs further analysis.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document Align in SDL 2014 error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »