https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/284437-preview_not_compatible_with_my_word_version.html

Preview not compatible with my Word version?!
Thread poster: Ronald Matthyssen
Ronald Matthyssen
Ronald Matthyssen  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 05:38
Member (2012)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2015

Just bought and installed Trados Studio 2014 freelance and working on my first project. I tried to activate "realtime preview" but I got the error message: "Realtime preview is not supported by the Microsoft Word version you are running". I have an Office 2013 package running on a Windows 8.1. system.

Why is Studo 2014 not compatible with that and is there a way to patch?

Thanks for any support,
Ronald

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:38
English to Hebrew
+ ...
MS Office 2013 and software hooks Apr 10, 2015

In a nutshell, it is not a Studio problem, but MS Office problem.
Except for MS Office 2013 Professional, the install package of all other versions of Office 2013 is missing the components that external programs need to interact with MS Office.
Short of buying the Professional version of Office 2013 there is currently no solution, but an acceptable workaround in my opinion is using the Preview command from the Quick Access Toolbar in Studio 2014.

Ronald Matthyssen
Ronald Matthyssen  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 05:38
Member (2012)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good shortcut! Apr 10, 2015

Thanks for this, Shai, but interesting that the function does exist, merely the relay doesn't.

Have a good day!
Ronald

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:38
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Previous version of Office Apr 10, 2015

The function exists because it works with earlier versions of MS Office, so no point in removing it.

I never really used the Preview function, but it might be interesting to test if installing an older version of Word Viewer might allow this to work. I'm (very) doubtful, but perhaps worth a try.

Anyway, I think there is a plan to overhaul the entire preview mechanism, so hopefully in future version it will become independent of MS Office.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preview not compatible with my Word version?!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »