What is Workbench?
Thread poster: Andrea Chetti
Andrea Chetti
Andrea Chetti
Argentina
Local time: 20:20
English to Spanish
Apr 10, 2015

Hello! I' was wondering if someone could tell me how workbench works with Trados 2011 or 2014. I'm still a student at university and I'd like some guidance.
Thank you in advance!
Andrea

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:20
French to German
+ ...
These are two different things Apr 12, 2015

"Workbench" refers to the previous generation of CAT tools from Trados (Trados 2007 and earlier). This generation of software was replaced in 2009 by the new product called "SDL Trados Studio 200x" (the current version is 2014 SP2).

Workbench is still being used by some people although it is not supported anymore. Unless you need to address interoperabilty issues between the two systems, there is no real need for you to learn about the old Workbench system.

Walter

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two workbenches Apr 13, 2015

ChettiAndrea wrote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me how Workbench works with Trados 2011 or 2014.

Well, there is Trados Workbench which formed part of Trados 2007 and earlier, and there is Idiom Workbench, whose files can mostly be opened by Trados 2011+. Do you know which one you're dealing with? Can you be more specific about what the problem is?

Andrea Chetti
Andrea Chetti
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
The person who asked to use Workbench didn't specify. Apr 15, 2015

Hi, Sammuel! Thank you for your reply. The problem was that I was asked to translate using Workbench,
and I did not know if I have to download it or if I it was ok to use Trados Studio, as I have never heard about Workbench before. The person that asked me to use Workbench did not specify if it was Idiom workbench or the one from Trados 2007. Now thanks to your reply, I understand that I could have done the translation with Trados Studio if the files were from Idiom Workbench.

... See more
Hi, Sammuel! Thank you for your reply. The problem was that I was asked to translate using Workbench,
and I did not know if I have to download it or if I it was ok to use Trados Studio, as I have never heard about Workbench before. The person that asked me to use Workbench did not specify if it was Idiom workbench or the one from Trados 2007. Now thanks to your reply, I understand that I could have done the translation with Trados Studio if the files were from Idiom Workbench.

Thank you!
Collapse

Andrea Chetti
Andrea Chetti
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Walter! Apr 15, 2015

Hi, Walter! Thank you very much. You have helped me a lot, since I was afraid that I could not use Trados 2011 as a substitute for Workbench.

Andrea

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Studio for all Apr 15, 2015

ChettiAndrea wrote:

I understand that I could have done the translation with Trados Studio if the files were from Idiom Workbench.

Hi,

You could use Studio whether it came from Trados Workbench or Idiom Workbench. But I'd hazard a guess that they were really referring to Trados Workbench as this is by far the more used application.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paul Apr 15, 2015

SDL Community wrote:
But I'd hazard a guess that they were really referring to Trados Workbench as this is by far the more used application.

I suppose you're right. Fewer than 5 of my clients use Idiom files, whereas fewer than 20 of my clients use TTX (and fewer than 10 use SDLXLIFF). And at least 1 of my Idiom clients' files can't be handled in Trados 2011 and must be dealt with via a Windows XP virtual machine that runs Idiom on it.

Andrea Chetti
Andrea Chetti
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 15, 2015

Thank you very much to all of you! You've really helped me.

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Workbench?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »