Thread poster: Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Hannah Dorthea Nielsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:59
German to Danish
+ ...
Apr 13, 2015

I am working on a docx file - the original file is 249 KB and its corresponding xliff file is approximately 5 MB.
There isn't much formatting in the document.
But still it feels like I am not writing on a computer but carving my letters in stone when I am typing.

My laptop is a few years old, has i5-processor, Win 7, 500 MB HDD.
What to do...?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Clunky 2011 Apr 13, 2015

Hi Hannah,

You're quite right.

On any given computer, 2011 tends to be a good bit slower than 2014. The best speed improvements I've had recently were a) when I installed a solid-state drive and b) when I upgraded to 2014.

Here are the system requirements for 2011 - "SDL Trados Studio supports Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. As minimum requirements, we recommend a Pentium IV-based computer with 1 GB RAM and a screen resolution
... See more
Hi Hannah,

You're quite right.

On any given computer, 2011 tends to be a good bit slower than 2014. The best speed improvements I've had recently were a) when I installed a solid-state drive and b) when I upgraded to 2014.

Here are the system requirements for 2011 - "SDL Trados Studio supports Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. As minimum requirements, we recommend a Pentium IV-based computer with 1 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1280x1024. For optimum performance, we recommend 2 GB RAM and a more recent Pentium or compatible processor".

With less than 1 GB RAM, you're likely to struggle.
Collapse

Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what about settings? Apr 13, 2015

I now ordered a RAM upgrade so that I will get 8 instead of 4 GB.

Are there any settings I can modify in the programme in order to reduce its weight?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
2014 Apr 13, 2015

Hannah Dorthea Nielsen wrote:

I now ordered a RAM upgrade so that I will get 8 instead of 4 GB.

Are there any settings I can modify in the programme in order to reduce its weight?

TBH, you'd be better off investing in 2014. I've still got 2011 on my computer but I haven't used it since installing 2014. Apart from being lighter and faster than 2011, it gives you access to lots of useful OpenExchange plug-ins, many of them free.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Seconding that Apr 13, 2015

The best way is to update to Studio 2014.

It looks slightly different with the 'ribbon' setup at the top, and I hesitated for a while before I updated. Then I talked to some colleagues who were enthusiastic, and was absolutely convinced. All the good functions are there plus some new ones.

With the latest service pack Studio 2014 is Java-free, which means no more of those maddening bugs with Multiterm refusing to work. It updated painlessly and I think it is the best Tr
... See more
The best way is to update to Studio 2014.

It looks slightly different with the 'ribbon' setup at the top, and I hesitated for a while before I updated. Then I talked to some colleagues who were enthusiastic, and was absolutely convinced. All the good functions are there plus some new ones.

With the latest service pack Studio 2014 is Java-free, which means no more of those maddening bugs with Multiterm refusing to work. It updated painlessly and I think it is the best Trados ever.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Convinced! Apr 13, 2015

Ok
I am convinced. I hesitated until now because it hadn't been explicitly demanded by the clients and the last update from 2009 was merely cosmetic as far as I could see.

Thank you for your comments.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hope you don't get disappointed Apr 13, 2015

With 4 Gb RAM I had never any conceivable slowness with 2011. Or 2009. I would suggest you check which of your software is taking up excess computer power. Maybe some Antivirus scanning your files?
But go for 2014 in any case.

Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You were right about 2014! Apr 14, 2015

Today I installed Studio 2014 and I am very pleased! It is much lighter and faster and my computer doesn't lag.
And the extra 4 GB of RAM .. well it's a small luxury then.
Thank you all for your advice!

Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
try turning antivirus off, myself, back to 2011 Apr 14, 2015

Hello,

I would have suggested to turn your antivirus and firewall off, at least temporarily. It might help.

I was having similar problems, especially in taking analysis with large project files and additional slowness with TTX files. Turning antivirus off was quite effective.

As for 2014, I had recently upgrade. It gives that sense of lightness and fast feeling. But, when you actually start working with big files, you will see what I mean.

Few
... See more
Hello,

I would have suggested to turn your antivirus and firewall off, at least temporarily. It might help.

I was having similar problems, especially in taking analysis with large project files and additional slowness with TTX files. Turning antivirus off was quite effective.

As for 2014, I had recently upgrade. It gives that sense of lightness and fast feeling. But, when you actually start working with big files, you will see what I mean.

Few examples;
- I had a project with 180k words in a number of files. Most of it was CM or 100% match. I had some 10k. I used (for me) long awaited merge file feature. TM look up was considerably slow.
- With the above project TB was very slow too. Even with small TBs. I had created one for "do-not-translate" terms (about 50 entries) and another one for the general usage in the project (barely exceeded 50 entries). That little number of terms were not recognized fast.
- Also TB recognition is not improved as much as I could see. Even with shorter segments and with less punctuations (I think somehow it prevents recognition of all terms), most of the terms were not recognized at all. It was relatively a rush project and I could not shift back to 2011. Unfortunately, I had to typeset those product names over and over again, not a chance of benefiting from Autocomplete/Autosuggest.

Starting with today's project, I reverted back to 2011, unless my clients are strict about 2014 usage.

On personal side, upgrade wasn't really worth it, except for avoiding higher prices for next version of 2014.

Best

Hakan
Collapse

Max Masutin
Max Masutin
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A probable suspect is the antivirus Dec 24, 2015

The 2011 is quite quick on my two cores and 2GB of RAM with Windows XP. No antivirus!
Is the 2014 indeed lighter and faster? What about the 2015?

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
Benefits of moving from the Studio 2011 to the Studio 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Hello Max,

Unfortunately, I was not able to locate your account, could you send me your six digit order number in the private email please?

Nevertheless, I would like comment on benefits of moving from the Studio 2011 to the Studio 2015.

1. Support for the Studio 2011 will be retired on 31st of December 2015 so this is the perfect time to upgrade
2. We have completely removed JAVA (since 2014 SP2) in Studio 2015 and replaced with .NET, which a smooth
... See more
Hello Max,

Unfortunately, I was not able to locate your account, could you send me your six digit order number in the private email please?

Nevertheless, I would like comment on benefits of moving from the Studio 2011 to the Studio 2015.

1. Support for the Studio 2011 will be retired on 31st of December 2015 so this is the perfect time to upgrade
2. We have completely removed JAVA (since 2014 SP2) in Studio 2015 and replaced with .NET, which a smoother more reliable and stable platform
3. The Studio 2015 is fully compatible with the following operating systems- Windows 7 8.1 W10 and Office 2007 or higher http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5013
4. Windows XP or Vista can no longer be supported as Microsoft has long since ceased to release any security updates/patches etc. which could make systems running theses OS version vulnerable.

Full list of the benefits upgrading from the Studio 2011 could be downloaded via the link below:
http://www.translationzone.com/download/sdl-trados-studio-2015-reasons-to-upgrade-for-sdl-trados-studio-2011-users/85387/

Please also see the list of System Requirements for the Studio 2015 below:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/?c=27916

Moreover I would like to add that we currently have Fantastic Festive Season discounts ends 31st of December with up to 40% off on a new products and 25% off for upgrades.
https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/promotion.aspx?PromotionCode=customer-experience

Kind Regards,

SDL_Roman
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to speed up SDL Studio 2011?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »