Thread poster: NancyLynn

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:42
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Apr 15, 2015

There are many discussions on this here and on the web in general, but they always indicate that the error message includes something about fields or tags.

My case is different...

I get this error: "an error occurred when converting files back to MS word format", then under origin it says
"file writing", That's it. No further explanation. No mention of fields or tags. The other person who had this problem here in ProZ.com, it turns out, had a Table of Contents that was throwing a wrench into the works. Not the case with my text. It's a website the client converted into a Word 2010 docx and sent on to me.

I've read the instructions to use F8, to go to Tools and expand Word version whatever (I've tried them all) and verify, and I get 'no errors'. Just "an error occurred when converting files back to MS word format."

I've saved the source as docx, as doc, as 2010, 2003...All these I can automatically translate with the TM, and still end up with the exact same obscure error. When I save the source as rtf I need to retranslate from scratch. Tried to then open the doc in MemoQ 2014 and perhaps run it through there, but the Pretranslate feature using the TM I used to translate the doc in Studio only pretranslates a handful of segments, and I'm faced with retranslating this poxy document, 1800 words, tonight when I really should be going to bed.

Also, looking at the file (whether I use a doc or the rtf I created) when it's open in MemoQ, yes, there are a million tags. There are literally several tags within words, for quotation marks, for every accented vowel (the source is in French). Where do these come from? I guess they are at the source of this confusion... But in Studio I select full tag display and none appeared.

Once again I turn to my knowledgeable colleagues for help.

Perhaps I'm getting old for this game.

Thanks for patiently trying to give me a hand with this.

[Edited at 2015-04-15 03:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:42
English
Resolving this error Apr 15, 2015

Hi Nancy,

Sometimes a problem like this can be resolved by opening the file as a single file translation (Open Document approach), pretranslate and immediately save target. If this gives an error then try again, but this time don't pretranslate. If it saves then the problem is related to the target side, so now add your TM and run through the document populating from your TM and saving the target as you go. At some point it will fail and when this happens copy source to target for a few segments before and after the offending segment and try again.

That often works... but if not then you may well have to start with the source file and split it repeatedley until you find the problem part of the file. So split into two, open each one and save target. Take the one that won't save and split that etc... Once you find the problem remove it from the original file and try again. Then manually correct the final file.

Of course it may also be possible that the problem is caused bu a bug in Studio 2009. So it may also be worth taking a trial version of Studio 2014 and run the file through there.

Given your timescales I can also take a look at this for you if you send me the original source file and your fully translated SDLXLIFF?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
pfilkin@sdl.com

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paul Apr 15, 2015

I've replied to you privately.

United Kingdom
English
Al done... Apr 15, 2015

... the problem was a corrupted word file and a text box that caused a problem. I don't know why the text box caused this problem yet, but removing it helped after using the Open & Repair option in Microsoft Word.

I found the text box by splitting the file a few times until I found the page with the problem.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Apr 15, 2015

Thank you, Paul, for your help.

So this is the second time this client's files have caused me problems; the first time I used MemoQ to process the file and ran into trouble there. So for this second file, I decided to use Studio 2009...and ran into problems again.

Now, the third file is the biggest, over 10K words. I've run out of CATs to use here, so I might just type it up from scratch in Word like in the olden days.

Not very efficient, but it'll avoid these midnight scares, and having to involve other people in my troubles.

However, I have a few grand invested in these different software programs, and I'm sure this isn't the outcome planned for by any of the players in this drama

United Kingdom
English
Quick test... Apr 15, 2015

Hi Nancy,

A quick test is this and it can save you hours of heartache:

1. Open the wordfile using OpenDocument
  2. Immediately save the target file as soon as it opens

So don't do any translation work at all. Just check to see whether the file can be converted back without an error. If it can, all is well. If it can't then you can decide whether to spend time finding the source of the error or not. But at least you know before you do all the translation.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 cannot convert document back to Word

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search