Thread poster: Andries Conradie

Andries Conradie  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:05
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2015

I am working on a 6000 word PDF file with double columns. Everything went smoothly until I noticed that a sentence at the bottom of the page in the right column does not continue as where expected, namely at the beginning of the left column on the next page. The sentences then started to break up, i.e. I could only translate fragments of the sentence. I then opened the file in Studio 2011 and the problem did not occur. I checked the PDF file settings in both versions and they seem to be identical.... This is extremely annoying, as I prefer to work with Studio 2014! Can someone help me please?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:05
French to German
+ ...
Check the Word file Apr 24, 2015

André

There should not be any difference in the way Studio 2014 converts a PDF compared to 2011, as it is the same filter.

I suggest you check the file type settings for PDF again, then reopen the PDF document. You then can do a "Save source" from Studio to save the Word document as it was created by the conversion. This will allow you to open this file in Word to check whether the conversion worked fine and possibly correct errors.
I do not know whether Studio's PDF conversion (Solid PDF) is able to handle columns properly.

In case it does not, I suggest you use an external PDF converter such as "Nuance PDF Converter" or "Abbyy PDF Transformer" to generate a decent WORD document from your PDF before you start translation in Studio.

Remember: PDF documents are always a challenge and we should use them as input only when there is really no editable source document available.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Studio 2014 and doubled columned PDF file

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search