SDL Multiterm Convert crashes
Thread poster: Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:59
French to English
Apr 29, 2015

Dear all,

My system: powerful Dell with Windows 7 OS, 64-bit machine.

I have SDL Studio 2014 (SP2). I have downloaded SDL Multiterm, including Multiterm Convert. These are also the SP2 versions, although I have tried working with SP1 (after uninstalling SP2) as well and get the same problem.

Whenever I run MT Convert and try to import a very simple Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) I get a problem at stage 4: Windows dialog saying "SDL Multiterm Convert has stopped working" : "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..."

The program then stops. Basically it has crashed.

This prompts a few questions:
1) has anyone got any idea what might be going wrong?
2) does anyone know how to create an XML file of the kind which can be imported directly into Multiterm?
3) does anyone know how to create a file of the other import types importable in MT Convert?

Thanks...

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
Finnish to French
Glossary Converter Apr 29, 2015

Mpoma wrote:
2) does anyone know how to create an XML file of the kind which can be imported directly into Multiterm?
3) does anyone know how to create a file of the other import types importable in MT Convert?

Have you tried the Glossary Converter OpenExchange app? It's pretty easy to use.

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Same error Apr 29, 2015

Hi Dominique,

Thanks... I downloaded it and tried several times to drag an .xls file on to the shortcut Icon...

Even with the simplest xls file I am getting the same error as with MT Converter... first I get this little black dialog saying "Analysing temp.xls"... then I get the Windows failure dialog: "Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter" has stopped working.

Depressing. And strange that I seem to be the only one encountering this problem.

I have recently done a fresh install of my Windows 7 OS so it is unlikely that there's a lot wrong with it.

A couple of "unusual" features might be:
- my MS Office suite is currently MS Office 2000 - I have the 2013 version which I will at some point try to install... except that I know it's going to mess up all sorts of things
- I have Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 installed

Apart from that it may be SDL Studio and Microsoft taking revenge because they know how much I loathe them both...

Finnish to French
Office version too old Apr 29, 2015

Mpoma wrote:
- my MS Office suite is currently MS Office 2000

Technical requirements for the app says: Excel 2003 or newer...

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks very much Apr 29, 2015

Hi,

You identified the issue... thank you very much. After installing MS Office 2013 I could get it working.

Now I have another question which you might be able to answer as you seem very clued up about TM apps generally. Seeing as it's a different matter I'm going to put it in a new post, subject: fuzzy term matching

Finnish to French
Fuzziness for French? Apr 29, 2015

Mpoma wrote:
fuzzy term matching

If you have French as source, do you need much fuzziness for it? I have Finnish as source, and this is one of the reasons why I'm not using Trados: other tools just handle Finnish morphology way better.

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
could you explain a little bit more? Apr 29, 2015

Could you just say which tools you mean? And in what way are these tools particularly good for a particular language, I wonder?

Do I need fuzziness for French... ? You might want to glimpse at my new post: I have created an app which uses Lucene indices so that, basically, entries in my vocab database are much less likely to be missed...

I use this app of mine all the time I'm translating... and I'm constantly adding new entries.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Multiterm Convert crashes

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search