How can I make a word count of a partly translated Word document in SDL Trados Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 1, 2015

How can I make a word count of a partly translated Word document in SDL Trados Studio 2014?

I received the file 70 % partly translated, so it remains for me to translate the remaining 30 %.

I began like this:

Created a TM and a new project in Studio.
Opened the file, right-clicked each translated segment and choose Change segment status/Signed off.
Run a batch analyze (Batch tasks/Analyze files), and then reopened the file for translation.

However, the word count was the same (I had expected these signed off segments to be subtracted from the total word count).

Is there any way of doing a word count using my steps above, just change some of the steps somewhat? For example, should I have chosen Translated instead of Signed off? Or can I change the settings so the word count for the Signed off-segments get subtracted from the total? Or is the easiest to just CTRL + Enter for each translated segment (although it doesn't look too nice in the TM with same source and target for 70 % of the segments)?



[Edited at 2015-05-01 07:52 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:05
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Hide in Word May 1, 2015

I'd hide the translated text in Word before importing it into Studio. That way, Studio won't take it into account in the analysis and you won't even see it in the Editor window.

If, however, you've got a partly translated sdlxliff file, then I'd lock the translated segments and then select "Report locked segments as a separate category" in the analysis batch task.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I make a word count of a partly translated Word document in SDL Trados Studio 2014?

Advanced search







Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search