Thread poster: Michael Moskowitz
Michael Moskowitz
Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
May 4, 2015

Hello. This will seem as a lame, newbie issue.
Sometime in 2012, I bought Studio 2011 through one of my clients, as it seemed like a great price. I never installed it since I never really needed it – I work almost entirely with pdf sources. Now, a client is starting to use Studio heavily and sending me stuff for editing in Studio.
So, I dusted off the old license, installed it, and am scratching my head now.
If they send me a translated "Project" that includes 4 documents w
... See more
Hello. This will seem as a lame, newbie issue.
Sometime in 2012, I bought Studio 2011 through one of my clients, as it seemed like a great price. I never installed it since I never really needed it – I work almost entirely with pdf sources. Now, a client is starting to use Studio heavily and sending me stuff for editing in Studio.
So, I dusted off the old license, installed it, and am scratching my head now.
If they send me a translated "Project" that includes 4 documents with common phrases between them, what is the best way to only edit each phrase once (thereby preserving consistency across the documents? I edited the first document but see that none of the changes are showing up in the second one.
I know I am missing something here.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:34
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Can you open all files in one window? May 4, 2015

At least this would be the way of doing it in Studio 2014.

Otherwise it should be possible to update the TM when you are finished with one file and do a pretranslate on the other files.

[Edited at 2015-05-04 13:54 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Merge May 4, 2015

There was no such option as merging on-the-fly, as in Studio 2014. In Studio 2011 you need create a project, and at the stage of adding files tick the "merge" option. This allows you opening all files in a single window, and easily propagate all changes as you edit.

[Edited at 2015-05-04 14:04 GMT]

Michael Moskowitz
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pretranslating May 4, 2015

Thank you Roy

...Otherwise it should be possible to update the TM when you are finished with one file and do a pretranslate on the other files...

I did the first part. Not sure how to go about the second part (pretranslate ).

Michael Moskowitz
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merge May 4, 2015

Natalie wrote:

There was no such option as merging on-the-fly, as in Studio 2014. In Studio 2011 you need create a project, and at the stage of adding files tick the "merge" option. This allows you opening all files in a single window, and easily propagate all changes as you edit.

[Edited at 2015-05-04 14:04 GMT]

These four files came from the client in the form of a single "project", not sure how to propagate the changes...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing in Studio 2011

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »