How do I generate a source/target column cleaned Word file in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 8, 2015

Sometimes my customers send me a Word document with the source text in the left column and then an empty column to the right. So they don't require that I use any CAT-tool, just that I enter my translation directly in the right column in the Word document.

I want to use SDL Trados Studio also for these documents, so I wonder if I can somehow generate the same layout when I save the clean file and include the source text in the left column and then place my translation in the right column? Or do I have to copy and paste?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:41
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Simple May 8, 2015

Copy the source text into the right column, hide the text in the left column, translate in Studio, create target Word file, un-hide the text in the left column, and you are done.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should I only hide the contents in the cells and not the actual cells? May 8, 2015

I copied from source to target and want to hide the left column now. But here they mention two ways of doing this in Word:

http://new.office-watch.com/2014/how-to-hide-a-column-in-word/

I tried now with Font/Effects/Hidden, and it worked fine, the contents is not visible in the left column now.

Is this the way you recommend, or should I hide the actual cells to get it to work in the end?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 03:41
French to German
+ ...
You could also treat it as an Excel file May 8, 2015

Fredrik

You could also copy-paste the table into Excel, hide the first column, save the file and open this one in Studio.

Or save it as CSV from Excel with the advantage that you can select which columns you want to see in the Editor of Studio.

When you are finished, insert the table back into Word.

Walter

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Font/Effects/Hidden worked fine May 10, 2015

It worked perfect do use this method with hiding the columns in Word, thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search