France
Local time: 17:51
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 8, 2015

Hello,

Could you please help me with this:

I received two files in sdlxliff format and a sdlftsettings file (referred to by my client as "filter").
I imported the settings file using the single document workflow through the "Advanced" tab in the dialog window (got the message that the settings are successfully installed).

However, when I open the files in Editor, there is a notification message:
"This file was created without using a file type definition. The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable:
- Saving
- Verification
- Quick Tags
- Preview".

And I can't use the "Save target as" function (Error: "No original file type definition associated with this file"). I can only use "Save as" and save the translation in sdlxliff format.

I contacted the client who told me to import the settings through "Options > File types". I tried this but it doesn't work, the result is the same. I also tried creating a new project with the 2 sdlxliff files and then importing the sdlftsettings file through "Project Settings". Doesn't work, I still get the same notification and error messages.

I would greatly appreciate your help as I can't contact the client now due to the time difference, and then he will be out of office due to a bank holiday until the project delivery deadline!

If there's no solution, will the client at least be able to use the translation saved in sdlxliff format (or the TM) to generate the target on his system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Import the filetype settings before you open the documents May 8, 2015

Elena

Make sure you import the filetype settings through "File - Options" before you open the documents in the Editor (in case you open them as single documents) or before you create the project containing these files.

You did not mention which version of Studio you use and which version your client uses. As the SDLXLIFF has been created by the client, you may not be able to do a preview and to generate a target, due to missing functionality.

However - and this answers your last question - and is the most important part: you can translate the SDLXLIFF and return it to your client. He will be able to create the target on his system because it contains all the required components provided it is the same on which he created the SDLXLIFF).

So, considering your deadline and the impossibility to join your customer, I would not lose any more time trying to resolve this issue, but go on on translating and deliver the SDLXLIFF (assuming you can live without a preview).

Walter

Elena_Polunina  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 8, 2015

Walter,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!
I will certainly follow your advice not to lose any more time and will deliver the .sdlxliff files. Good to know that the client will be able to create the target!

I made sure to import the settings file before actually opening the files in the Editor/creating a new project, but I got the error message nevertheless. Maybe the settings file wasn't properly created in the first place...

I'm using SDL Trados Freelance 2014 (with the latest SP), and I think that the client uses Trados 2011.
I don't know if there are any potential incompatibilities.

Thanks again for your response!

Elena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with importing sdlftsettings in Trados Freelance 2014

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search