Thread poster: Adam Łobatiuk

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:12
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
May 11, 2015

I have a licensing problem that I cannot solve using the available references. Namely, I can't deactivate Studio 2011 and proceed with activating Studio 2014 following the cloning of my HDD to an SSD. This results in the 'WrongComputer -84' error. When I try to use the web form to log my issue in Solution Finder, it throws a series of "required field cannot be blank" errors, even though no fields are blank. This is happening on my 2 computers in 3 different browsers. I would appreciate SDL's assistance with this. Thanks in advance.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No need to contact support... May 12, 2015

... you can do this yourself. You can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2011 and SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Go to KB article #5196 ( http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5196 ) and follow the instructions.

Regards

Paul

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That didn't help May 12, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for responding. Unfortunately, that didn't help. On my account, under Licenses, I don't have a Return license link any longer — either for 2011, or for 2014. I do have such a link for 2007 only. Under my 2011, it says that the licence is inactive, but there is 1 | 0* licence in use and 0 | 1*licence available (I have SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus). I still can't proceed with activating 2014. Thank you very much again and I look forward to your advice.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
License return May 12, 2015

Hi Adam,

I have checked your account and can see that you have still an activation for Studio 2014 available (SDL Account/Licenses).
Your previous 2011 license is showing as inactive.
If you can send me a screen shot (private email) of what is happening- we can help you further.

Kind regards

Steve

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Locked license May 13, 2015

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the screen shots- this helps a lot.

The problems started with the ‘cloning’ of the HDD to SDD.
Studio 2011/2014 use a unique licensing system that sits outside of any given Studio installation and on a different part of the HDD- this means that after cloning the drive, only the software was cloned and not the essential licensing aspect.
If you still have the previous HDD - I would suggest you reinstall Studio 2011- then Start Studio 2011- go to Help and License deactivation.
Once the license has been deactivated, this will ‘free up’ the remaining activation, allowing the full and complete installation and activation of the second activation.

Should you be unable for whatever reason be unable to access the original drive, then you will need to log a support ticket via your SDL account/Support/Licensing.
The licensing team can then reset/cancel the old license- unfortunately I do not have the ability I’m afraid.

Should you decide to change PC’s/drives in the future- please ALWAYS first deactivate the Studio software. All installations should be via your SDL account.
This way you can be assured you have the newest version installed and avoid any data corruption that can happen on copied/cloned drives.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance

Kind regards

Steve
Steven Whale

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
License return. May 13, 2015

Hi Adam,

Just to let you know I have logged the support case for you.
Please keep an eye on your account and inbox. You will be emailed once the license has been reset.

Kr

Steve

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Solution finder contact form not working

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search